Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ken in nashua <nh...@hotmail.com> on 2008/01/16 19:38:52 UTC

TAP-5: Tapestry Release Semantics and legacy thereof

Hi,

I have been watching tapestry release semantics for many years now, as they happen, as they impact the commercial field and related hurdles.

Given the maturity of the framework and it's concepts... is it reasonable to ask for the following:
 o  Tapestry 5 be 100% commercially validated and qualified
 o  Tapestry 5 provide tooling to migrate ALL
     tapestry-4.* framework based application sources
     (yes my tap 4 applications) to be tapestry 5 compliant
     automatically

Any tapestry 4 webapp migration semantic is finite and concrete. It just needs to be automated... (components, pages, services, etc...)

Not trying to start a firestorm and thanks to the layman who have put their heart into it so far... The framework is fun and likeable and I use it for obvious real and good reason. June 2007 target was missed for tap5. Would like to try and refrain from getting caught into the same release cycle semantics that have occurred in the past. Are sincere efforts being considered to prevent repitition? If so are the above requests reasonable?
Feedback on feasibility and possibility is appreciated.

Personally I would like to see this happen.
Best regards Ken in nashua
Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.

Re: TAP-5: Tapestry Release Semantics and legacy thereof

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 10:38 AM, Ken in nashua <nh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been watching tapestry release semantics for many years now, as they happen, as they impact the commercial field and related hurdles.
>
> Given the maturity of the framework and it's concepts... is it reasonable to ask for the following:
>  o  Tapestry 5 be 100% commercially validated and qualified

What exactly does this mean?

The major difference with the T5 release cycle is that we will not
claim that a release is the final, stable GA release until it has been
available for some period of time.  So we will release something, say
5.0.10, and (after a vote) call it a release candidate.  If, after an
experience period of a month or so, no show-stopper bugs are added, we
can then vote it to be the stable release.

If bugs do occur, then they will be fixed in the release branch and in
the trunk, and a new release will be cut from the release branch and
the clock restarted.

This is (give or take) the methodology used elsewhere at Apache and
just makes more sense.  A release is good when no more bugs show up
for it.

>  o  Tapestry 5 provide tooling to migrate ALL
>      tapestry-4.* framework based application sources
>      (yes my tap 4 applications) to be tapestry 5 compliant
>      automatically

Are you willing to fund the development of such a tool?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship