Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Yannick Caillaux <ya...@univ-valenciennes.fr> on 2010/01/08 10:05:22 UTC

Question about relevance

Hi,

I index 2 documents. the first contains the word "Wallis" in the title
field. The second has the same title but "Wallis" is replaced by "Wall".
I execute the query : "title:wallis"
During the search, "Wallis" is cut by the FrenchAnalyzer and becomes
"wall". So the two documents are results for the search.

My problem is : the two results have the same relevance.
I thought that the document containing "Wallis" would have better
relevance because I search for the word "wallis" and not "wall".

Relevance is calculated from the searched word (wallis) or from the
analyzed word (wall)? Is there any solution to get better relevance for
the result "wallis" ?
For information i'm in lucene 2.3.2.

Thanks

Yannick

Re: Question about relevance

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
One technique I've seen commonly used is to index both stemmed and
unstemmed fields, and during search query both and boost the unstemmed
field matches higher.

	Erik