Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/09 14:47:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release

Hi,

I would propose starting to close down and prepare for the 2.8.0 release
in 2-3 weeks. There are already 282 issues for 2.8.0 and chances are
will be over 300 by the release time, probably setting a new record.

As of now there are 17 issues unresolved, a few of them almost done, so
by next week I assume there'll be significantly less. I would suggest
shifting the focus from adding new features to stabilizing the build. If
there are any issues you know of that you think absolutely must be in
2.8.0 please shout and ask for help if needed (especially non committers
subscribing to this list).

Thoughts?

Hadrian

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:09:14 AM Willem Jiang wrote:
> Hi Hadrian,
>
> I think we are ready for the Camel 2.8.0 release.
> But I'm not sure why you are still planing to do the patch release for
> the 2.7.x as we never do this kind small patch release unless it relates
> to a serious security issue before.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll probably go through some of the other pure
bug fixes and pull them back in as well.   I started looking through some of
them, just got busy on some other work related things.

> Can we just let the people move on to Camel 2.8.0 instead of confusing
> about what's difference between the Camel 2.8.0 and Camel 2.7.3 ?

I don't think it's been confusing for CXF users and finding ways to get bug
fixes to users without requiring big updates is a good thing.  I definitely
support maintaining fixes branches for a while.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just spotted test errors in camel-smpp.

I have commited a fix for those tests. It was a missing easymock
expectation that needed to be added due a new feature added to the
camel-smpp component in ticket CAMEL-4170.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Just spotted test errors in camel-smpp.

I guess its because some commits in that component recently caused these errors.
It fails flat out on my laptop this morning as well.

Failed tests:
  processShouldCreateTheSmppSession(org.apache.camel.component.smpp.SmppProducerLazySessionCreationTest)
  processInOnlyShouldSendASubmitSmAndUpdateTheExchangeInMessage(org.apache.camel.component.smpp.SmppProducerTest)
  processInOutShouldSendASubmitSmAndUpdateTheExchangeOutMessage(org.apache.camel.component.smpp.SmppProducerTest)
  processInOutShouldHonorTheDataCoding(org.apache.camel.component.smpp.SmppProducerTest)

Also reported by Apache CI
https://builds.apache.org/job/Camel.trunk.fulltest/org.apache.camel$camel-smpp/355/testReport/

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Just be clear, we spend lots of time on Camel trunk which can benefit
for all the Camel user (includes Talend customer).
Porting the fixes is just a small part of the work. I don't want the
patch work slow down our daily contribution to the trunk.

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
One other note:

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0/2.7.3 release

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

On a related note, 2.7.3 is looking to be in very good shape as well.     I've
merged back over 60 bug fixes and things are looking pretty good.   There are
some more bug fixes that could get merged back, but it's probably a good idea
to get what's there out and do that for 2.7.4.

I currently have a single test failure in camel-spring, but looking into it,
it's a test case merged back that requires some of the improvements in 2.8 so
I'll likely just @Ignore it.

In any case, I'll likely do the build tomorrow  (and let the votes then run
till Monday or Tuesday) unless someone pops up with a major thing they'd like
addressed in 2.7.3 first.

Dan

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am ready to start the 2.8.0 builds in about one hour. If you know of
>> anything that still needs to be fixed please let me know asap.
>>

> I will commit a fix for
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-4222 in about 30 min when
> the full unit test is complete.

I have committed the fix.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Kettelerij <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Willem:

 > I don't want give the customer false assumption that we do regular patch
 > release for the every major release of Camel from now on. I just want
 > user to move on to the new major release of Camel and we can promise
 > them we keep fixing the bugs in the trunk if they report it.

Why not? In what way false assumptions? Personally I would like to see
more patch releases out (3rd digit) and less minor ones (2nd digit). The
benefit and opportunity for the community is huge. There are a bunch of
other projects out there, many oss (like SwitchYard from RH that was
presented at CamelOne, ALv2 licensed too) that would benefit from
maintained branches. We shouldn't force them to upgrade.

Our user base is growing and we need to consider other projects too, not
only paying customers. If you want we can discuss general guidelines,
like how many versions back to support, release cycles etc. It would be
a great thing to commit as a community to a certain level of support.

Hadrian

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Willem,

I can explain a bit from my experience as a user of Camel and CXF at my
former employer regarding patch releases.

We updated our stack every 6 to 8 months. With CXF this mostly simply
worked. When some bug was detected we could create an issue and help fix
it. It went into the next patch release and we could
update to this one instead of the feature release.

With Camel it was different. Every new release had a lot of new features
and changes. So we almost every time found a bug in the release that
prevented us to switch or that was a problem in production that needed
to be addressed. What went very well in Camel was reporting and fixing
bugs. I think Camel is probably the project I used where fixes to bugs
were made fastest. The problem was that the fix was only on trunk. Then
later it was incorporated into the new version. So my first strategy was
to update to the most current camel release when a bug was found and
fixed. The problem was that we almost every time found another problem
in the new release.
So what I did in the end was building our own release with the patches
to the bugs we had. This worked very well but not every customer wants
to do this.

Patch releases like 2.7.3 give the customer the fixes they need without
the breaking changes that cause new bugs. So from a customer standpoint
patch releases are very valueable. Of course they make life for us more
complicated so I think we should mostly only support one patch release
and one feature release at the same time. Of course a company like Fuse
or Talend can also do patch releases on their own but I think it is
better to have these releases at apache so it is transparent to the
customer what is in each release and he has no fear of vendor lock in.

Christian

Am 06.07.2011 04:09, schrieb Willem Jiang:
> Hi Hadrian,
>
> I think we are ready for the Camel 2.8.0 release.
> But I'm not sure why you are still planing to do the patch release for
> the 2.7.x as we never do this kind small patch release unless it
> relates to a serious security issue before.
>
> Can we just let the people move on to Camel 2.8.0 instead of confusing
> about what's difference between the Camel 2.8.0 and Camel 2.7.3 ?
>
> On 7/5/11 12:11 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>> Karaf 2.2.2 is now available and Willem did the upgrade. I think we can
>> get ready to start the release. Are there any other issues that must go
>> into 2.8.0?
>>
>> I would also build a 2.7.3 at the same time, there are a few fixes and
>> improvements, including some around xmlsecurity.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> Hadrian
>>

>> On 06/30/2011 11:07 PM, Willem Jiang wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just applied the patch into trunk.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing down for the 2.8.0 release

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hadrian,

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> > And I wonder if there is any CXF 2.4.1 coming out soon?
>
> CXF 2.4.1 will be release in a week.

Or less.    I'm doing the builds today.   :-)

Dan

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

--
Willem
----------------------------------

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
Done.  Thanks.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got a patch to contribute for camel-mail.  Is there still time to
>> get that in?
>>

> Yeah try to get the patch by start of next week at the latest.
>
>> Don
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Claus,
>>>
>>> +1 to release Camel 2.8.0. I'm working on ServiceMix components using Camel
>>> 2.8-SNAPSHOT, so I'm quite ready to integrate Camel 2.8.0 in ServiceMix :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--