Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bruce Douglas <be...@earthlink.net> on 2002/11/04 00:03:53 UTC

[users@httpd] linux help!!

Hi..

I recognize that this is probably the wrong group.... But here goes! I'm
looking to get some simple assistance on how to setup sshd/telnet servers
under Redhat Linux 8.0 so I can remotely access the machine from a Windows
box. I've verified that the ssh/sshd process is running. However, when I try
to access the linux box through either telnet/ssh from the windows box, I
cannot seem to complete the process.

Trying to connect using telnet from th Windows box gives me a situation
where the login/password is not accepted. I've tried this with both
root/regular user with no luck. Using ssh doesn't seem to connect at all.
Using the putty client for windows results in the putty command window
hanging, displaying an error msg "connection rest by peer".

Thanks for any assistance! I've also posted this to a couple of linx
maillists but as of yet, received no response....

Thanks,

Bruce
bedouglas@earthlink.net

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
Did you ever get this fixed?  Sounds like you've got some iptables setup to
deny SSH.  You really don't want to use telnet.

BTW, apache comes with redhat 8, and you can use the up2date tool to update
them.  Another option (which I /really/ like) is apt-rpm.

Re: [users@httpd] linux help!!

Posted by Ciolo_-^DusT^-_WebMaster <ci...@tin.it>.
I had got the same problem configuring the firewall rules under startx, you
should do it under txtual...

RE: [users@httpd] linux help!!

Posted by Skull Crusher <sk...@drizzle.com>.
Could be that you are running a firewall. During setup did you choose to
run a firewall?

Joe....

Joe Morthland ( Skull )
Network Administrator