Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/06/10 19:59:37 UTC

Re: AW: Commiting on 2.0 branch and HEAD

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:00:56 +0200, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@sundn.de> wrote:

> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > There are some drawback to this procedure.
> > 1. Lots of merge conflict will happen because of keyword expansion we use
> >    in the source files ($Revision 1.2.1.$ etc.). Using the -kk options
> >    on the join command can corrupt binary files if my understanding
> >    of that option is correct.
> > 2. The log comments entered on branch commits are not joined into
> > the HEAD
> >    branch.
> >
> Yes and because of these two reasons I would suggest that we keep both
> branches in sync which means all commits for the 20 branch should also
> be applied to the 2.1 branch (except the stuff which is really only for
> 2.0). Of course, we should not add all commits of the 2.1 branch to
> the 2.0. So keeping in sync is perhaps not the right formulation.
> I could imagine that it is a very hard work to join the branches after
> some weeks without making mistakes.

I also believe we should be commit both on the 2.0 branch and on the
HEAD(*). Some patches designed for the branch may not apply cleanly to
the HEAD, and in fact may require a slightly different
implementation. It's just a lot easier to apply small patches to the
two branches, as it is done by multiple individuals, than having
somebody come at a later point and doing all the work. The drawback
with this however is that it may increase the time needed to test the
two branches.

(*) Carsten, I assume that the 2.1 branch you mention above is really
the HEAD. There should be no need for a 2.1 branch until we actually
release 2.1.

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>

AW: AW: Commiting on 2.0 branch and HEAD

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:00:56 +0200, "Carsten Ziegeler"
> <cz...@sundn.de> wrote:
>
> > > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > >
> > > There are some drawback to this procedure.
> > > 1. Lots of merge conflict will happen because of keyword
> expansion we use
> > >    in the source files ($Revision 1.2.1.$ etc.). Using the -kk options
> > >    on the join command can corrupt binary files if my understanding
> > >    of that option is correct.
> > > 2. The log comments entered on branch commits are not joined into
> > > the HEAD
> > >    branch.
> > >
> > Yes and because of these two reasons I would suggest that we keep both
> > branches in sync which means all commits for the 20 branch should also
> > be applied to the 2.1 branch (except the stuff which is really only for
> > 2.0). Of course, we should not add all commits of the 2.1 branch to
> > the 2.0. So keeping in sync is perhaps not the right formulation.
> > I could imagine that it is a very hard work to join the branches after
> > some weeks without making mistakes.
>
> I also believe we should be commit both on the 2.0 branch and on the
> HEAD(*). Some patches designed for the branch may not apply cleanly to
> the HEAD, and in fact may require a slightly different
> implementation. It's just a lot easier to apply small patches to the
> two branches, as it is done by multiple individuals, than having
> somebody come at a later point and doing all the work. The drawback
> with this however is that it may increase the time needed to test the
> two branches.
>
> (*) Carsten, I assume that the 2.1 branch you mention above is really
> the HEAD. There should be no need for a 2.1 branch until we actually
> release 2.1.

Yes, this is correct. The 2.1 branch is actually not a branch but the
HEAD.

Carsten