Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nikolai Teofilov <ko...@me.com> on 2011/02/14 01:14:52 UTC

WinCouch

@Dave Cottlehuber:

> A few ideas:
> - make a "WinCouch" like Jan's CouchDBX that has a firefox wrapper
> around the outside of CouchDB. No idea if this is actually hard or
> not.
> - extend this to be a stand-alone app - start/stop buttons, displays
> either futon GUI or your custom HTML which "of course" would be a
> couchapp
> - provide a build script so people can neatly package these homebrewed
> apps up themselves without needing to build erlang from scratch

I have been working on similar stuff so it took me less time to implement @Dave idea instead to find a way to replay to the original thread.

Here I put a kind of very early beta based on 1.0.2 binaries from @Dave and GeckoFX as a warper fro FF:

https://github.com/downloads/koleto/WinCouch/WinCouch-v1.0.zip

Enjoy

Nikolai

Re: WinCouch

Posted by Nikolai Teofilov <n....@gmail.com>.
On 14.02.2011, at 19:32, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> On 15 February 2011 01:58, Nikolai Teofilov <n....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hei Jan,
>>
>> I compile it with wrong switch for all platforms but the GeckoFX is compiled only for x86 so it crashes on x64 systems. I have already upload another zip file where I fixed the problem and now it should work as win32 on both x64 and x86 platforms.
>>
>> Here is the link: https://github.com/downloads/koleto/WinCouch/WinCouch-1.0.zip
>> I will commit tonight the source on the https://github.com/koleto/WinCouch.
>>
>> I also reduce the size of the CouchDB binary. The @Dave binaries of the couch 1.0.2 are quite stable so far so i think they could be the next official win release.
>>
>> The WinCouch should work with any win CouchDB release.
>> I am going to put an easy way to configure the start url and the windows form size so it will be quite useful for development of couchapps on windows with HTML5. On can hide any part of the GUI so that at the end you can get embedded in FF couchapp in a win form.
>> The code is very simple actually nothing special except some small tricks to stop the Erlang shell and embed GeckoFX.
>> I was just curious if there will be enough interest to keep working on this project.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nikolai

Hi Dave,

Now I understand how cool it will be to have a .Net application capable of running HTML5 web applications (couchapp) and in the background running CouchDB, no installation, no browser needed. You are right about that It could a whole new way for deploying couchapp on windows as a native windows forms applications.

> Hi Nikolai
>
> Awesome. I will be able to play with the later today & will definitely
> put in some patches for a quick way for people to repackage their
> couchapps - bring on the source!
>

> Some interesting stats from github download pages -
> - couch 1.20 trunk build - downloaded 106 times in 3 weeks
> - couch 1.1 trunk - 23x
> - couch 1.0.2 from release - 48x
> - your wincouch 1.0.0 - 55x in 20h
> - wincouch 1.0.0.1 7x in 9h

Wow! :)

> So I think we have hit the nail on a sweet spot for people here. Any
> feedback from what people were using it for, or wanted?

Just this what you read on the thread. But the 1.0.2 binaries are really stable and I think ready for release!
I was able to do pull replication from 0.10.2 to 1.0.2 full with attachments and it works perfectly.
I did a test for the 4 Gb bug and it was okay. All of the core functionality (create, delete, compact, attach) is working. I still have to do some more tests with replications and will let you know about the results.

> I'm looking forwards to contributing a lot to this & keeping it up to
> date with the main couch trunk.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Me too
Cheers
Nikolai

Re: WinCouch

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Re: WinCouch

Posted by Nikolai Teofilov <n....@gmail.com>.
Jan,

I am glad you like it but still a bit surprised that there is no interest on this.
Changes test  doesn't fail always. Actually I never seen a windows release wehre all tests passed except this one! It also depends if the application is running as win services. But so far it works perfectly.

Cheers
Nikolai

Re: WinCouch

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.