Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jeremy Nix <Je...@sfsltd.com> on 2004/08/31 22:09:52 UTC

OT: Reliability of WSDL architecture

This question is more directed at the Webservices in general, as opposed
to Axis, but since I'm using Axis as the wrapper for my web service, it
seemed like a good place to start.  I'm relatively new to Axis/Soap, so
if the answer is trivial, I apologize.

We've created XML services in the past to deal with B2B communications
outside the realm of Soap and WSDL.  Using plain HTTP and XML as the
architecture, we were forced to create callbacks on both sides
(client/server) to make sure that messages were received.

Example:
-Client A sends XML request to Server B
-Server B sends back XML acknowledgement of request to Client A
-Server B sends XML request to Client A with actual response
-Client A sends back XML acknowledgement of request to Server A

This was our way of dealing with the HTTP protocol in a manner that
guarantees the delivery of messages.

Does Soap/WSDL/Axis guarantee the delivery of messages?  If so, how?

_________________________________
Jeremy Nix
Senior Application Developer
Southwest Financial Services, LTD.
(513) 621-6699 x1158
www.sfsltd.com

Re: OT: Reliability of WSDL architecture

Posted by Martin Hamel <ma...@komunide.com>.
This is a transport question, and has such, it is not covered by soap. We are
using JMS to solve those problems. From the tests we've done, it works has
advertised. We still need to test more thought.

But it seems like the weay to get ride of delivery problems. :-)

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
I would not characterize SOAP reliability as "on the fringe" -- but it is in
the early stage.

WS-Reliability [1] is being developed at OASIS [2]. Vendors involved in its
development include Fujitsu, NP, Hitachi, NEC, Nortel, Novell, Oracle,
SeeBeyond, Sun, and a few others. I know of no implementations of
WS-Reliability, although it is based on the ebXML Message Service (ebMS).

WS-ReliableMessaging [3] is a joint effort of BEA, IBM, Microsoft, and
TIBCO, and a number of other vendors (including most ESB vendors) provide
input to the specification through workshops held by the authors. Systinet
and Cape Clear provide product implementations, and the other vendors
involved have working implementations and are conducting interoperability
testing.

Although WS-ReliableMessaging has not been submitted to a standards body, it
has significantly more traction in the vendor community than WS-Reliability.
Expect to see a broad array of vendor product implementations by early 2005.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/8909/WS-Reliability-2004-0
8-23.pdf
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsrm
[3]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/understanding/specs/default.aspx?pull=
/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-reliablemessaging.asp

Anne

Posted by Jim Murphy <jm...@mindreef.com>.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-reliablemessaging.asp