Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "noake@sina.cn" <no...@sina.cn> on 2014/08/15 10:34:35 UTC

NullPointerException when use webhcat

hi everyone:
I followed the wiki�https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/WebHCat+InstallWebHCat�to run webhcat server, it's started.
I use curl :curl 'http://localhost:8080/templeton/v1/status'
return is:{"status":"ok", "version":"v1"}
but, when i use this:curl 'http://localhost:8080/templeton/v1/ddl/database?user.name=user'
return is :{"error":null}
I find some Exceptions in log:
org.apache.hive.hcatalog.templeton.CatchallExceptionMapper |java.lang.NullPointerException� � �at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.templeton.HcatDelegator.makeArgs(HcatDelegator.java:86)� � �at org.apache.hive.hcatalog.templeton.HcatDelegator.run(HcatDelegator.java:62)....

any idea about what I can do?

noake@sina.cn

Re: NullPointerException when use webhcat

Posted by André Hacker <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

maybe it does not load the webhcat configuration files webhcat-default.xml
and webhcat-site.xml. I remember I had a similar issue. See section
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/WebHCat+Configure#WebHCatConfigure-ConfigurationVariables

Please check your webhcat.log. It is created if you run "webhcat_server.sh
start". The very first line should be "Attempting to load config file" and
then "loaded config file". You see there where it is looking for the
configuration files (In TEMPLETON_HOME, which is set automatically by
webhcat_server.sh to the hcatalog dir).

So if the config files are not found, one option is to copy
webhcat-default.xml to TEMPLETON_HOME and create webhcat-site.xml there. Or
make sure that the files are in the CLASSPATH.
Maybe there is another recommended way I am not aware of.

You definitely need to overwrite several options in the webhcat-site.xml
since the defaults won't work (some of the paths are referring to 0.11).

Hope this helps,

André