Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/26 14:16:21 UTC

change default value for alwaysCheckExactRevision

Hi,

I've already suggested this a couple of times, I'd like to change the
default value of alwaysCheckExactRevision from true to false. IMO this is
almost never actually used, slightly degrades performance and sometimes lead
to annoying bugs like invalid URLs (which should be fixed now). So, anyone
against the idea of changing this default value?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: change default value for alwaysCheckExactRevision

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 28 août 08 à 10:33, Xavier Hanin a écrit :

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Gilles Scokart
> <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now that the default is true, it means that if someone specify a
>> version latest.integration, ivy will first look if the ivy file can
>> be
>> found using the 'latest.integration' token.
>> If it is false, ivy will directly list the revisions, and according
>> the latest strategy find the latest one.
>>
>> The performance impact on file system resolver is minor (just one
>> file.exist per latest.integration dependency).  But might be bigger
>> with http (or other) remote repository.
>>
>> The effect of changing the default value will be that the people that
>> use repositories containing an explicit text 'latest.integration' in
>> their pattern will have to adpat their settings.
>>
>> I'm not sure how many people use this kind of repository.  And I'm
>> not
>> even sure if ivy has support to publish to this kind of repository.
>> We
>> should maybe poll the ivy user community (I'm not sure it would give
>> any result, but we can try).
>
> I don't know if polling the community is worth it. I'm not talking
> about
> discarding this feature, but only changing the default. I may be
> wrong, but
> I suspect that less than 1% of Ivy users actually use this feature
> (it may
> even be 0). Even if it's 10%, I still think the default should be
> false. But
> if you really think we should poll the community first, I'm ok, I
> just don't
> want to loose too much time for a minor change like this.

As the final release is not yet out, I think it is safe to change the
default and put a note in the documentation about that change.

Nicolas

>>> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.