Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by "dotasek.dev" <do...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/22 23:20:55 UTC

http and scr features and upgrading Karaf

My product uses the 3.0.3 release of the Karaf container, and we are
presently exploring a move to 4.2.0.

One of our bundles makes us of the scr and http features. As I understand
these two features, they are implementations of  OSGi Compendium APIs. Other
bundles should only be accessing them through their OSGi compendium
interfaces. The move from one implementation to another should not change
anything another bundle could rely on.

On the off chance that one of our third party developers were to create a
dependency on a previous scr or http implementation, would there be a way to
still provide the previous implementation (say, a 3.0.3 version of the http
feature contained within 4.2.0)?

I strongly suspect this is not possible, and that anyone coding a bundle
using the implementation directly is simply writing bad, un-maintainable
code. However, our third party developers have done stuff like this before,
and it would be great to give them a soft landing when we upgrade. If
there's anything in karaf that would support that, I'd be interested to know
it.