Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com> on 2019/08/03 12:19:27 UTC

Files tab does not show all files

When investigating an issue, I found that the Files tab doesn't show the .form files generated by the form editor. Is this on purpose, as it's a bit confusing?

It's possibly a hangover from the Oracle days, as it also happens in NB version 8.

Regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

Re: Files tab does not show all files

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Thomas,

So do I, but I hadn't realised that the Files tab only showed a subset.

.form doesn't appear in the Tools | Options | Miscellaneous | Files ignored list, so it's presumably programmed in somewhere else. A bit odd.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Geertjan,

Wait until you see my JIRA issue! It won't happen until late August as I'll be away and won't be able to contribute to any discussion.

Assuming that Thomas was referring to the Windows Explorer Favorites window, the .form files certainly appear there. Can't speak for other OSs.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Saturday, August 3, 2019, 4:12:53 PM, you wrote:

Form files are not shown anywhere, not in the Favorites window either. Even if you’re looking inside a Form file, you’re most likely doing something wrong. It is generated by the GUI Builder, should never be touched or changed, and even the idea of looking at Form file is a bad idea.

Gj

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Geertjan,

This is embarrassing. I was intending to post a minimal program showing the unwanted character translation (see the thread 'Odd character translation'), but I can't get it to happen in a new project.

I can only assume that it was something to do with resurrecting a project which had an unusual character set (no idea why - it's ancient) from NB 8. As this doesn't happen all that often (if ever), I don't think there's any point in spending any more of our time on it.

As for the wisdom (or otherwise) of looking at a .form file, I think that's a matter of opinion. Personally I find it useful to know what a program is doing, and think that this self-censorship is a bad idea. You obviously differ. As one can always use whatever file explorer the OS provides, it's not really an issue.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Geertjan,

I didn't say I wanted to edit them - there's fairly obviously no point. But I wanted to look at them to help diagnose the problems I was having with character substitution, and didn't find them. Windows Explorer found them, so it wasn't a problem in the end.

If it's done on purpose, fair enough. From your reply I assume that's the case.

I'm trying to build a case for a JIRA issue on character translation - I'll post it after I'm back from holiday.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

Saturday, August 3, 2019, 2:28:05 PM, you wrote:

You’re not supposed to be editing the form files at all. That’s why you can’t see them. If you ever find yourself editing form files, you’re definitely doing something wrong.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.