Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by thirdnormal <na...@thirdnormal.com> on 2007/10/06 02:02:37 UTC

Day Software's JCR Eclipse Plugin

I am using Day Software's free Eclipse Plugin  (  http://www.day.com/eclipse
) for browsing my Jackrabbit repository connecting through RMI.

I love the plugin - its the most comprehensive one I have found and will fit
well into our development environment. However - i am unable to edit
property values. I am not sure if this is by design - or if this is a bug in
my environment. Since I am able to add new properties and add / edit nodes -
it would seem that it should be able to edit property values.

What happens is that when I select a property in the JCR Repository view the
property details appear in the Property View. I then select the value field
in the Property View - but I get no editable control. When i start typing
with the value selected I do get an edit box in the bottom right of my
eclipse IDE (it seems out of place down there - like there is a bug with the
positioning of the box). However - I see no way to update the property
value.

Is  anyone familiar with this plugin and its capabilities?  Can anyone else
edit property values in this plugin?

I am running Eclipse 3.3.0 in case that makes a difference.

Thanks.

David Kendall
Lithium Technologies

Re: Day Software's JCR Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Am Freitag, den 05.10.2007, 17:02 -0700 schrieb thirdnormal:
> I am using Day Software's free Eclipse Plugin  (  http://www.day.com/eclipse
> ) for browsing my Jackrabbit repository connecting through RMI.
>
> I love the plugin - its the most comprehensive one I have found and will fit
> well into our development environment.

Thanks :-)

>  However - i am unable to edit
> property values. I am not sure if this is by design - or if this is a bug in
> my environment. Since I am able to add new properties and add / edit nodes -
> it would seem that it should be able to edit property values.

Yes, this is a major missing point in the plugin. It just never has been
implemented :-) The actualy implementation would probably go exactly
along the lines you sketched: Click on the property value to change it.

> Is  anyone familiar with this plugin and its capabilities?  Can anyone else
> edit property values in this plugin?

I am, because I wrote it :-)

I cannot exactly tell, when a fix for this issue would be available. But
there will certainly be one ...

Regards
Felix

Re: Day Software's JCR Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The link http://www.day.com/eclipse is for the Eclipse Update Manager.
If you append the slash the server will redirect to the
http://www.day.com/eclipse/index.html which informs you more about the
plugin(s) and how to install them into Eclipse.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Alexandru Popescu ☀ <th...@gmail.com>.
The link works if you add a / at the end: www.day.com/eclipse/. Funny :-).

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Posted by Rodrigo Madera <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Am Mittwoch, den 10.10.2007, 08:39 +0200 schrieb Lorenzo Dini:
> In the first version I downloaded, it was possible to use a local repository
> specifying home and repository.xml file.
>
> Using this version I could not find the same feature. It is only possible to
> use it through RMI. Has it been removed??

I removed this functionality from the plugin, because I was not very
happy with it and it made the plugin very heavy weight (counting in the
required libraries to run Jackrabbit). And then there were a lot of
misunderstandings because it was not always clear the "local" repository
means a repository running inside Eclipse and not being accessible from
the outside.

But you might look at Sling [1] wich has a jackrabbit-server bundle,
which you may want to (try to) deploy to your Eclipse environment and
then access through the plugin.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Felix

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/sling

Re: Day Software's JCR Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Lorenzo Dini <Lo...@cern.ch>.
Hi all,

In the first version I downloaded, it was possible to use a local repository
specifying home and repository.xml file.

Using this version I could not find the same feature. It is only possible to
use it through RMI. Has it been removed??

Cheers,

Lorenzo

--

Lorenzo Dini

CERN ­ European Organization for Nuclear Research
Information Technology Department
CH-1211 Geneva 23

Building 28 - Office 1-007
Phone: +41 (0) 22 7674384
Fax: +41 (0) 22 7668847
E-mail: Lorenzo.Dini@cern.ch

Re: Day Software's JCR Eclipse Plugin

Posted by thirdnormal <na...@thirdnormal.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Am Dienstag, den 09.10.2007, 19:49 +0300 schrieb Alexandru Popescu ☀:
> This is starting to sound interesting. Is there any way I can download
> this as a archive?

No, at the moment, there is no archive. If there would be enough
interest, I could of course package the thing into an archive.

Regards
Felix

Re: Day Software's JCR Eclipse Plugin

Posted by Alexandru Popescu ☀ <th...@gmail.com>.