Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org> on 2015/05/19 22:59:14 UTC

Connection timeout 1.0.0

Good evening,

quickly trying to try out drill on OSX but getting a connection exception.

Just following the 10 minutes tutorial [0] firing up with
bin/drill-embed. I tried as well with some variations of -u parameter
without luck

(0) http://drill.apache.org/docs/drill-in-10-minutes/

At [1] the full exception. I removed the highlighted IP. It seems to be
a public IP but if I access any whoami service on the web I have a
different one. When you get the advancedsearch.virginmedia.comthing it
normally means that it didn't find anything (404) and VM intercept and
"kindly" suggest you a search.

(1) https://gist.github.com/davidegiannella/6384e0d1553b68b5e046

hints?

Thank you
Regards
Davide

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by David Tucker <dt...@maprtech.com>.
For many Linux services, this can be an unstable configuration.   Better to use
	ifconfig eth0
to identify the configured IP address and add that entry to /etc/hosts.

Some DHCP client packages will do this automatically, since the IP can change with every reboot.

— David

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 21/05/2015 16:41, Andries Engelbrecht wrote:
> What are in the log files when you run drill-embedded?
> Does the drillbit actually come up?
>
> The drill-embedded script should start sqlline and you should end up in the sqlline shell.
>
> If you want to start with sqlline instead of drill-embedded use the following
> ./sqlline -u jdbc:drill:zk=local
thanks for the support Andries,

I still can't get it to work. There's definitely something weird in my
security settings on this box as if I connect on my repeater router I
get the "virginmedia search/not found" thingy, if I connect on the main
router or I shutdown the wireless I get the unknown host exception.
Pointing to my computer name: davide-osx.

I'm still not getting why it should be this way as I develop
applications that uses network connectivities connecting to localhost on
various ports and never got any problems.

I looked up the ports drill should be using that I know of: 31010 and
2181 but both are free to be taken: `sudo lsof -i TCP:${PORT}`.

I guess I will need to download the sources and start debugging, if kids
and work will allow. Can you point me at the area in the code where more
or less the lookup for the host and the connection should happen?

Cheers
Davide

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Andries Engelbrecht <ae...@maprtech.com>.
What are in the log files when you run drill-embedded?
Does the drillbit actually come up?

The drill-embedded script should start sqlline and you should end up in the sqlline shell.

If you want to start with sqlline instead of drill-embedded use the following
./sqlline -u jdbc:drill:zk=local

NOTE: You can not start the drillbit with drill-embedded and then try to use a different sqlline to access, as it will try to start the drillbit again and will give an error.

If you look in DRILL_HOME/log/drillbit.log you should see this if Drill started successfully
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: java.compiler=<NA>
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: os.name=Mac OS X
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: os.arch=x86_64
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: os.version=10.9.5
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: user.name=aengelbrecht
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: user.home=/Users/aengelbrecht
2015-05-21 08:36:43,824 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Drillbit environment: user.dir=/Users/aengelbrecht/drill/apache-drill-1.0.0/bin
2015-05-21 08:36:44,555 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Construction completed (731 ms).
2015-05-21 08:36:48,182 [main] INFO  o.a.d.e.e.f.FunctionImplementationRegistry - Function registry loaded.  2360 functions loaded in 3292 ms.
2015-05-21 08:36:49,449 [main] INFO  o.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit - Startup completed (4893 ms).

—Andries

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Jim Scott <js...@maprtech.com>.
You may also want to double check the /tmp directory that drill uses to
keep the configuration information that zookeeper would normally hold and
very you don't have bad permissions there.

--
*Jim Scott*
Director, Enterprise Strategy & Architecture

 <http://www.mapr.com/>
[image: MapR Technologies] <http://www.mapr.com>

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Andries Engelbrecht <ae...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks Andries,

Re: Connection timeout 1.0.0

Posted by Andries Engelbrecht <ae...@maprtech.com>.
On OSX go to the directory where you want to install Drill and make sure the user has full permissions on that directory.

Instead of sudo tar extract, just tar extract. Otherwise you may run into user file/directory permissions depending on how your system is configured.