Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pat Quinn <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2002/09/11 21:49:33 UTC

Re: General Struts Question [LET US BE KINDER AND MORE SOPHISTICATED?]

I know how to search in google and I have ordered a book (Mastering Struts
by James Goodwill) on this topic… but I just wanted to make sure it was a
decent book as I’m living on a student allowance…

Posted by Daniel Jaffa <ja...@courtinnovation.org>.
If you look very hard,  i do not know where i found it
but u can down load a free beta book called Struts Fast Track by Vic
Cekvenich

There are nice people out there

Daniel Jaffa

I was new to struts only 9 months ago

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: General Struts Question [LET US BE KINDER AND MORE SOPHISTICATED?]

> I know how to search in google and I have ordered a book (Mastering Struts
> by James Goodwill) on this topic. but I just wanted to make sure it was a
> decent book as I'm living on a student allowance.

It's a good book (I've not finished it yet), I understand everything in
spite of my poor english skills, maybe a little light even for a newbie like
me...
However, Chuck's book preview seems more complete so start reading
"Mastering Struts" then "Programming Jakarta Struts" and Ted's one should
then be available:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1930110502/qid=1031774919/sr=8
-3/ref=sr_8_3/104-5500255-0862313?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Re: General Struts Question [LET US BE KINDER AND MORE SOPHISTICATED?]

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
I haven't read James' book. Mark is in the process of reviewing it and
sharing his experience with us. In the meantime, let Chuck's book
suffice. It's free for download (the review chapters are anyway), and it
will really flesh things out for you (I'll be *very* surprised if it
doesn't help emensly).

Having not read James' book, and having seen the example chapters out of
Chuck's, I would tend to recommend Chuck's. I'm not sure how long ago
James' book became available, but there could also be issues related to
new functionality in Struts 1.1 not having made it into James' book.
Mark could tell you more about that. I know Chuck's book really shed
good light on some of the more advanced features for me though. Thus, I
recommend it to everyone. Ted's book will probably be quite good too.
The tips he puts out are small excerpts from his book. Having found
several of them handy, I recon his book will be too. I wish I knew more
about James' book ...

Chuck said something about how each of the books' authors had a
different background, and how he figured, while there would be some
overlap, each of them would cover different things.

Regards,

Eddie

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
The information on the site is actually really, really good.  That combined
with the archives is good enough, if you have a budget problem.  I think
that it is cool that you are a new java person checking this out already.