Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by John Morrison <jo...@experian.com> on 2000/01/24 10:43:47 UTC

SQLProcessor & SQL TagLib

Donald - you mention that the SQLProcessor won't be around much
longer and will be replaced by something called XSP SQL TagLib(?).  At
the moment I can see the following translation being something I do at
work with great frequency...

html form->XSP          (to fill in query variables)
XSP->SQLProcessor (to do the query)
SQLProcess->XSLT  (to allow me to add more XSP to format dates etc)
XSLT->XSP                (format dates etc)
XSP->XSL (html)        (for display.)

The question is, XSP dynamically generates a servlet/processor
whatever you want to call it, compiles it and the result is executed.  How
does the above (with 2 dynamically generated sections) stand - does the
second second get regenerated every time and will this XSP SQL TagLib
allow me to 'fold' the two XSP processing sections into one?

Shame about the SQLProcessor, thought it was an excellent idea but I
can see the above becoming more prevelant in my work.

Thanks,

John.

>>> Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> 21/January/2000 07:19pm
>>>

> (5) Should we use SQL Processor or XSP SQL TagLib?

That's easy, the latter; SQLProcessor won't be around soon.

- donald

Re: SQLProcessor & SQL TagLib

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, John Morrison wrote:

> Donald - you mention that the SQLProcessor won't be around much
> longer and will be replaced by something called XSP SQL TagLib(?).  At
> the moment I can see the following translation being something I do at
> work with great frequency...
>
> html form->XSP          (to fill in query variables)
> XSP->SQLProcessor (to do the query)
> SQLProcess->XSLT  (to allow me to add more XSP to format dates etc)
> XSLT->XSP                (format dates etc)
> XSP->XSL (html)        (for display.)
>
> The question is, XSP dynamically generates a servlet/processor
> whatever you want to call it, compiles it and the result is executed.  How
> does the above (with 2 dynamically generated sections) stand - does the
> second second get regenerated every time and will this XSP SQL TagLib
> allow me to 'fold' the two XSP processing sections into one?
>
> Shame about the SQLProcessor, thought it was an excellent idea but I
> can see the above becoming more prevelant in my work.

As far as I can tell, yes, your second XSP page (that's dynamically
generated by XSLT) will be recompiled every time. Perhaps Ricardo can
speak to the contrary? Anyway, hmm, that's a significant restriction, and
should be addressed, but I can't see how you'd avoid the problem if the
SQL library was called as a processor rather than as a taglib. The code
will be pretty much the same, it's just the, uh, user API that will change
(for the better, one would hope).

Maybe I'm missing something?

- donald