Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dmitriy Vsekhvalnov <dv...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/06 12:11:43 UTC

T5.3: per page context session storage?

Hi all,

looking for a way to have session storage per context, e.g. 2 pages:

/profile/details/1
/profile/details/2

if work with both in different tabs session storage data obviously
clashing.

Any ideas how to make per-context session?

Thanks.

Re: T5.3: per page context session storage?

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
Ah, then you need conversation scope as Dragan has suggested.... I was just
checking ;)

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 09:16:15 -0200, Dmitriy Vsekhvalnov
<dv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, if you don't save your object(s) in memory you should save in some
> other place, right?

Right. Session storage is storage. :P

> So, what are you doing if you have to edit object with several
> pages/screens before finally committing it?

Then you probably cannot avoid using a session[1]. :) The point is that,
when you can avoid that, you should. ;)

[1] Unless you store the intermediates states in some temporary location
other than session.

Posted by Dmitriy Vsekhvalnov <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Any time someone wants to use the session, I always ask why. I avoid
> session usage wherever possible. If there's no real need for it, I
> suggest you keep your app stateless and use the page activation context
> / event
> context to pass parameters.

Agreed 100%. Besides the lower memory usage, it also avoids some problems.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: T5.3: per page context session storage?

I think it strongly depends...
Overuse of session when parameters will do is as wrong as trying to avoid session at all by making the rest complicated and unmaintainable.

If you need security / permission there is no decision you can make. For writing stateful wizard like dialogs it depends on complexity of your dialog(s).

Concerning the initial question, maybe a dispatcher will do? You know the request and you can access the sessionstate. If session objects follow a page like naming scheme you can wipe objects you no longer need because the user went to a different page (hierarchy) for example.

Jens

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Posted by John <jo...@quivinco.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:16:46 -0200, Dragan Sahpaski
<dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not out of the box.

So consider this an improvement suggestion. :)

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 15:24:35 -0200, Kalle Korhonen
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally, I've considered making the module more annotation-driven but
> given how Tapestry initializes pages, it's critical to be able to
> control just
> when the conversation is created.

Why not advising annotated methods? This prevents any relation to the way
pages are initialized.

> I'll probably make another go at this
> when I implement support for T5.4 (whenever we get to a public beta stage
> with it first).

It's not beta yet, but it's stable and works very well.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I had considered implementing a query parameter earlier as instinctively,
it sounds logically like the right approach. However, the nice thing about
the path encoded context parameters is that you don't have to do additional
work making sure that the context is carried through. Regardless, adding
support for query parameter from the library's point of view is likely very
inexpensive so I don't see why not.

On the use of sessions, used properly, it can greatly improve performance
of the application and scalability as well depending on where the
bottlenecks are. I've tried to include some of the reasoning in the
documentation as well, but I strongly think that the typical live time of
web conversations should be within seconds. Longer session use quickly lead
to scalability issues with inefficient memory consumption.

Finally, I've considered making the module more annotation-driven but given
how Tapestry initializes pages, it's critical to be able to control just
when the conversation is created. I'll probably make another go at this
when I implement support for T5.4 (whenever we get to a public beta stage
with it first).

Kalle

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dragan Sahpaski <dr...@gmail.com>.
See the sign up for a JIRA account section here
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Cheers,
Dragan Sahpaski

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.