Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2005/05/17 22:22:27 UTC

time for 2.0.0?

The preview snapshot didn't reveal any problems, and it's been out for 4
days already. I suppose it's time to push 2.0.0 out. Unless someone
disagrees, Philippe, are you around to make the release?

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Friday 20 May 2005 1:01 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
> it seems that we may even be able to resume normal communications, your
> email has arrived almost at the same time as you've sent it. Yay!

Yeah, I had a hardware failure recently and had to switch to a new machine at
work.  Still working out the kinks on the e-mail client setup...  Many thanks
to whoever okay'ed my accidental postings to the users list from my
unsubscribed plusthree.com address.

- Perrin

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thursday 19 May 2005 11:52 pm, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>>It will be so shortly. Being done. Incoming. Any minute now. Almost there.
>>;-)
>

> Thanks, and thanks to the rest of the gang for all the many months of work on
> this project.
>
> Sorry it's taken so long for me to get the press release together, but I
> really want to do it and I promise to get something out for the list to look
> at Very Soon.

perrin++!

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 17:05 +0800, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Cool, I can't wait to read it.

I just posted a draft to the advocacy mailing list.  Let's discuss it
over there.

- Perrin

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 19 May 2005 11:52 pm, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>>

>>>It will be so shortly. Being done. Incoming. Any minute now. Almost there.
>>>;-)
>>
>>Thanks, and thanks to the rest of the gang for all the many months of work on
>>this project.
>>
>>Sorry it's taken so long for me to get the press release together, but I
>>really want to do it and I promise to get something out for the list to look
>>at Very Soon.
>

> Cool, I can't wait to read it. I was hoping we could use it as the seed for a
> slashdot story, but guess we were beaten:
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/05/05/21/136222.shtml?tid=145&tid=156&tid=8&tid=2
>
> Once it's written up, let's make sure to spread it. @perl.apache.org
> mailing-lists, freshmeat, (where else?)

use.perl.og

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> it doesn't happen on the same day. If the release goes out a week or wo
>>> later it won't make any difference. In fact we may even make another
>>> release by that time, fixing any fresh issues if any.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I guess after that, we can discuss the content of an official
>> announcement some
>> more and get it posted all over the place once we all like it.
>>
>> Yes/No ?
>
> Philippe, why the drag of yet another yes/no? You've volunteered to put
> this release out, you have more than 3 +1s to do that, then just do it.

Fine, it's being tested as we speak one last time. I was only being caucious
and wanted to make sure everybody had an opportunity to voice ideas/concerns.

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>> Stas Bekman wrote:
>>
>>> The preview snapshot didn't reveal any problems, and it's been out for 4
>>> days already. I suppose it's time to push 2.0.0 out. Unless someone
>>> disagrees, Philippe, are you around to make the release?

Yup, I am around, even though I am temporarly in a somewhat different timezone.
The only fix that was worth fixing, IMO, was the segfaults on OSX. With that
out of the way, I am all for a release.

>> did anyone get around to writing the press release, or at least a short
>> note?  I think that the official release should be more than just a
>> simple announcement of it's place on CPAN and a change list.  IIRC
>> perrin said something about being able to write one.  if he can't do it
>> I can but not until monday.

I always try and to keep the mod_perl stuff on freshmeat.net uptodate, so
in this case, I'd certainly like to reuse a common announcement snippet.

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 09:45 -0700, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> did anyone get around to writing the press release, or at least a short
> note?  I think that the official release should be more than just a
> simple announcement of it's place on CPAN and a change list.  IIRC
> perrin said something about being able to write one.

Yes, and I have collected some testimonials for it, but have had no time
to write it up in the last couple of weeks.  I was planning to try
tonight.

- Perrin

Re: time for 2.0.0?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> The preview snapshot didn't reveal any problems, and it's been out for 4
> days already. I suppose it's time to push 2.0.0 out. Unless someone
> disagrees, Philippe, are you around to make the release?

did anyone get around to writing the press release, or at least a short
note?  I think that the official release should be more than just a
simple announcement of it's place on CPAN and a change list.  IIRC
perrin said something about being able to write one.  if he can't do it
I can but not until monday.

--Geoff