Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by S M <sm...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/14 21:05:22 UTC

Subversion authentication on Unix

I installed Collabnet Subversion 1.4.6-2 on Solaris 10, using svnserve. I have following questions:

1. Can Subversion server use Unix login information for username/passwd authentication, preferably using svnserve method. If so, what are the steps for this configuration. If its not possible with svnserve, how can I configure it with Apache to use Unix account info.

2. The authentication settings used to be in the conf directory of the repository. But with this Collabnet version, the authentication information is  configured  through the  "Configure-CollabNet-Subversion" script and is saved elsewhere. Where is the information saved.

3. If read-anonymous is allowed on the server, svn client does not prompt for user/passwd information. How can this be set, specifically for command-line and Tortoise SVN clients.

Thanks,
SM.

Re: Subversion authentication on Unix

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM, S M <sm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed Collabnet Subversion 1.4.6-2 on Solaris 10, using svnserve. I have following questions:
>
> 1. Can Subversion server use Unix login information for username/passwd authentication, preferably using svnserve method. If so, what are the steps for this configuration. If its not possible with svnserve, how can I configure it with Apache to use Unix account info.

Sure. With the assumption that ssh is available, use svn+ssh:// mechanism.

> 2. The authentication settings used to be in the conf directory of the repository. But with this Collabnet version, the authentication information is configured through the "Configure-CollabNet-Subversion" script and is saved elsewhere. Where is the information saved.
>
> 3. If read-anonymous is allowed on the server, svn client does not prompt for user/passwd information. How can this be set, specifically for command-line and Tortoise SVN clients.

Not sure what I am missing here -- if you want authentication prompt
for anonymous read, then don't set read permission on anon-access :-)

Regards,
-Hari