Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joseph Munowenyu <jo...@vcsu.edu> on 2009/05/15 20:57:33 UTC

Svn co + Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

I installed subversion 1.5.4 and all required packages from sunfreeware.com. I am on x86 Solaris 10.

The installation was smooth and so was the 'svnadmin create myrepo' process.

However when I try to run the command below from either another Solaris 10 box with the same version of svn or locally I get the associated error:

# svn co svn://mysvn.server.url/myrepo
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

What I am missing. Checking out on a MAC OS X machine is successful.

----------------------------- FYI -----------------------------
A.
# uname -X
System = SunOS
Node = www1
Release = 5.10
KernelID = Generic_138889-08
Machine = i86pc
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 1

B.
# svn -version

svn, version 1.5.4 (r33841)
   compiled Oct 27 2008, 18:03:07

Copyright (C) 2000-2008 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using Neon.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using serf.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

Thanks for any help.

Joseph Munowenyu
VCSU Web Office
3-7438

Re: Svn co + Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 03:57:33PM -0500, Joseph Munowenyu wrote:
>    I installed subversion 1.5.4 and all required packages from
>    sunfreeware.com. I am on x86 Solaris 10.
>
>    The installation was smooth and so was the `svnadmin create myrepo'
>    process.
>
>    However when I try to run the command below from either another Solaris 10
>    box with the same version of svn or locally I get the associated error:
>
>    # svn co svn://mysvn.server.url/myrepo
>    Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Without any further information, the most likely candidate is
mismatching APR versions at compile time and run time.
This is frequently the cause for segfaults reported to our lists.

Was your Subversion binary compiled against a different APR version
than you have currently installed?

Stefan

Re: Svn co + Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 07:44:11AM -0700, Shumba wrote:
> I also had to hack the configure file and add the line:
>
> LIBS="$LIBS -lintl"

I believe I've had the same issue on OpenBSD once.
The configure script didn't enable NSL support because
bindtextdomain() could not be found.
As of r37827 Subversion's configure script should now be
smart enough to handle that case.

But just to make sure where your error really came from,
could you send me the file 'config.log' in the top-level
directory of the subversion source tree that gets created
by configure? Actually, I'll need this file twice -- once with
LIBS unmodified, and once with LIBS being tweaked to contain
-lintl so that the build works for you.

Because I'd like to know if you really got the same error that
I had (which should now be fixed), or whether you are seeing a
different problem that needs another fix.

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: Svn co + Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Posted by Shumba <jo...@vcsu.edu>.
Following Stefan Sperling's advice I was able to solve my issue. The solution
was in ensuring that both Apache and Subversion were using the same version
of APR. As such I complied Subversion 1.5.4 myself rather than just
installing the package from sunfreeware.com. That way I was able to point my
configuration at Apache's apr viz:

./configure --with-apr=/opt/coolstack/apache2/bin/apr-1-config

I also had to hack the configure file and add the line:

LIBS="$LIBS -lintl"

This was on the advice of another user and this solved the problem I was
having with my 'make'. I also created a soft-link for libldap-2.3.so.0 which
solved the file not found error I was having with the 'make install' viz:

# cd /usr/local/lib
# ln -s libldap-2.4.so.2.1.0 libldap-2.3.so.0

So in summary it was:
# gunzip subversion-1.5.4.tar.gz
# tar -xf subversion-1.5.4.tar
# cd subversion-1.5.4

Then add the line LIBS="$LIBS -lintl" at the top of the configure file, say
after commented section:

## --------------------- ##
## M4sh Initialization.  ##
## --------------------- ##

LIBS="$LIBS -lintl

<<<

# ./configure --with-apr=/opt/coolstack/apache2/bin/apr-1-config
# make
# make install

However on another box which I thought was a clone of the first my configure
line had to be:

# ./configure  --with-apr=/opt/coolstack/apache2/bin/apr-1-config
--with-apr-util=/opt/coolstack/apache2/bin/apu-1-config
--with-apxs=/opt/coolstack/apache2/bin/apxs --with-neon=/usr/local/neon

Notice I had to specify neon. I was having neon errors on my 'make':

SSL_CTX_set_client_cert_cb          /usr/local/lib/libneon.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/svn
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subversion/svn/svn'

To fix this I uninstalled the neon package and compiled it myself viz:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/neon
make
make install

With all that done the Subversion 1.5.4 install was smooth. Thanks again
Stefan.