Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2013/11/22 19:15:30 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Experiment: VXQuery PPMC Release Voting

The possibility of an experiment with making PPMC votes binding on incubating
releases under some conditions has been discussed at length in recent threads
on general@incubator.  I propose that we vote on the following language to run
the experiment with VXQuery as a test podling:

    The following additional rules for voting on incubating releases shall
    apply to the VXQuery PPMC, whose membership is tracked on the VXQuery
    podling status page at
    <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/vxquery.html>.

    *   PPMC votes are binding for every release except the first.
    *   One IPMC vote is required for each release after the first.

Note that VXQuery has already had its first incubating release approved by
vote of the IPMC.

It is my view that the position taken by ASF Board member Roy Fielding in a
recent message to general@incubator[1] indicates that the Incubator PMC has
the necessary authority to enact this proposal.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] http://s.apache.org/yPX

Re: [PROPOSAL] Experiment: VXQuery PPMC Release Voting

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi,

Apologies for returning to this after one week, but I have been on vacation.

I am not against this experiment in general, especially after Bertrand's later clarification.

I am against the experiment in VXQuery's case because Till has already been made an IPMC member under the prior experiment. It is no longer possible to consider if the experiment has been successful. If the experiment moves forward then I would expect you as a Mentor to vote.

I have a suggested change to the experiment. I'll respond in the other thread.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> So we vote to make Till an IPMC member and then we have a proposal to allow
> VXQuery to have a non-Apache Member cast the only IPMC binding VOTE on a
> release.

If VXQuery can't be trusted, why do you support graduation[1]?

> Here is my proposal - see if invoking the old experiment (making a pdling
> PPMC member into an IPMC member) has the expected and proven effect.

Good plan.  That's what we tried first.  It was a dud[2].

Marvin Humphrey

[1] http://s.apache.org/0HG
[2] http://s.apache.org/D38

Re: [PROPOSAL] Experiment: VXQuery PPMC Release Voting

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
So we vote to make Till an IPMC member and then we have a proposal to allow VXQuery to have a non-Apache Member cast the only IPMC binding VOTE on a release.

Sorry, but that is one step too many. Here is my proposal - see if invoking the old experiment (making a pdling PPMC member into an IPMC member) has the expected and proven effect.

Regards,
Dave