Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/05/29 20:29:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] How to best do time sync. (WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache CloudStack 4.1.0 (fifth round))

Ilya,

I'm breaking off a new thread for this discussion.  If you want to
discuss the design options presented in the jira, this would be a good
thread for that. ;-)

-chip

Re: [DISCUSS] How to best do time sync. (WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache CloudStack 4.1.0 (fifth round))

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 06:14:04PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> John,
>
> For vmware, you have 2 options, clock sync will work with native NTP daemon using local ntp servers in your datacenter or use vmware tools native time keeping technique.
>
> We have over 2500 VMs, and while we have vmware tools installed on all vms, we choose to use native linux NTPD for time sync VS vmware hypervisor provided time sync. In past, vmware tools time sync was buggy and not recommended, so we decided to keep it simple and make use of existing ntp servers. As of now, inherent issues maybe, if you go through major upgrade of Vsphere, if you change vmware hardware version, if you don't update the tools - you have 3 places where time keeping may break (though I hope vmware dev team consider all that - it is still a possibility)

+1 to this...  we do the same thing.  NTP is much more maintainable, and
we don't trust the tools-based sync (due to bugs we encountered).

RE: [DISCUSS] How to best do time sync. (WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache CloudStack 4.1.0 (fifth round))

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
John

No need for apologies, if we are all in agreement, should I create feature request and issue tracker?

Thanks
ilya

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Ilya and Chip,

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
John,

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
+1 for zone-level NTP server setting. If not set, use the default one
(e.g., the ntpd package in Debian automatically use the ntp pool)

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
IIya,

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
I'd say Cluster setting.