Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rakesh Midha <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/16 11:45:54 UTC

Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing

Hello

I checked out the current trunk and build it with Sun JDK  1.5.0_06, the
build works fine.

But when I try to start geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.2-SNAPSHOT server, it fails
with following error message.
Module  6/23 org.apache.geronimo.configs/openejb/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    Exception in thread "Timer-0"
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigur
ationError: Provider org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl not
found
        at javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance(Unknown
Source)

I looked for xalan files and found that the xalan implementation is missing
in JDK 1.5, I used SUN JDK 1.4.2 and the server started without any problem.

I think we need to package xalan implementation with server build via
repository, just like xerces and xmlparser. What do you guys say? or I am
missing something here.

Also notice, Sun JDK 1.4.2 is shipped with Xalan Java 2.4.1, and current
version of Xalan available is 2.7, I think we should make Xalan transformet
independent of JDK.

Thanks
Rakesh

Re: Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Vamsi,
    Thanks! I never suspected that my mail program would reject
messages sent by itself as spam...

Thanks
Anita

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?tstart=30&forumID=34&threadID=542044&trange=15

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Heinz Drews <he...@gmail.com>.
It's also inluded in http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2454.

Heinz

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rakesh Midha <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.
#1 for 1.2
#3 for 2.0

-Donald

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
After Anita's mail, I tried running the server on 1.5 and the server started
fine.  Console output given below.

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.5.0_10)...
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root] ----------------------------------------------
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root] Started Logging Service
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root] Runtime Information:
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   Install Directory = C:\g1.2t
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   JVM in use = Sun Microsystems Inc. Java 1.5.0_10
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root] Java Information:
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   System property [java.runtime.name]  = Java(TM)
2 Ru
ntime Environment, Standard Edition
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   System property [java.runtime.version]  =
1.5.0_10-b
02
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   System property [os.name]             = Windows
XP
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   System property [os.version]          = 5.1
20:05:30,267 INFO  [root]   System property [sun.os.patch.level]  = Service
Pack
 2
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [os.arch]             = x86
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.class.version]  = 49.0
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [locale]              = en_US
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [unicode.encoding]    =
UnicodeLittl
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [file.encoding]       = Cp1252
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.vm.name]        = Java
HotSpot
(TM) Client VM
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.vm.vendor]      = Sun
Microsys
tems Inc.
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.vm.version]     =
1.5.0_10-b02

20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.vm.info]        = mixed
mode
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.home]           =
c:\SUNJDK150
\jre
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.classpath]      = null
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.library.path]   =
c:\SUNJDK150
\bin;.;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Common
Files\NetSarang;C:
\PROGRAM
FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Syst
em32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\IBM\Infoprint
Select;C:\Utilities;C:\Notes;C:\Program
 Files\XLView\;C:\lotus\compnent\;C:\Program Files\IBM\Personal
Communications\;
C:\Program Files\IBM\Trace Facility\;C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
Files;C:\Prog
ram Files\IBM\WebSphere
MQ\Java\bin;C:\Subversion1.2.3\bin;C:\SUNJDK142\jre\bin;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\NetSarang;C:\PROGRAM
FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES;C:\W
INDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\IBM\Infopri
nt Select;C:\Utilities;C:\Notes;C:\Program
Files\XLView\;C:\lotus\compnent\;C:\P
rogram Files\IBM\Personal Communications\;C:\Program Files\IBM\Trace
Facility\;C
:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files;C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere
MQ\Java\bin;C:
\Subversion1.2.3\bin;C:\Maven1.1-beta-2\bin;C:\WinCvs1.2;C:\svn-
win32-1.4.0\bin;
C:\apache-ant-1.6.5\bin;C:\SUNJDK142\bin;c:\maven-2.0.4\bin
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.endorsed.dirs]  =
c:\SUNJDK150
\jre\lib\endorsed
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [java.ext.dirs]       =
c:\SUNJDK150
\jre\lib\ext
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root]   System property [sun.boot.class.path] =
c:\SUNJDK150
\jre\lib\rt.jar;c:\SUNJDK150\jre\lib\i18n.jar;c:\SUNJDK150\jre\lib\sunrsasign.ja
r;c:\SUNJDK150\jre\lib\jsse.jar;c:\SUNJDK150\jre\lib\jce.jar;c:\SUNJDK150\jre\li
b\charsets.jar;c:\SUNJDK150\jre\classes
20:05:30,277 INFO  [root] ----------------------------------------------
Starting Geronimo Application Server v1.2-SNAPSHOT
[**************************] 100%  32s Startup complete
  Listening on Ports:
    1099 0.0.0.0 RMI Naming
    1527 0.0.0.0 Derby Connector
    4201 0.0.0.0 ActiveIO Connector EJB
    4242 0.0.0.0 Remote Login Listener
    8009 0.0.0.0 Tomcat Connector AJP
    8080 0.0.0.0 Tomcat Connector HTTP
    8443 0.0.0.0 Tomcat Connector HTTPS
    9999 0.0.0.0 JMX Remoting Connector
   61613 0.0.0.0 ActiveMQ Transport Connector
   61616 0.0.0.0 ActiveMQ Transport Connector

  Started Application Modules:
    EAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/webconsole-tomcat/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    RAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    RAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/system-database/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    WAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/ca-helper-tomcat/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    WAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/dojo-tomcat/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    WAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/remote-deploy-tomcat/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car
    WAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/welcome-tomcat/1.2-SNAPSHOT/car

  Web Applications:
    http://Alexander.in.ibm.com:8080/
    http://Alexander.in.ibm.com:8080/CAHelper
    http://Alexander.in.ibm.com:8080/console
    http://Alexander.in.ibm.com:8080/console-standard
    http://Alexander.in.ibm.com:8080/dojo
    http://Alexander.in.ibm.com:8080/remote-deploy

Geronimo Application Server started

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 17, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

> Kevan,
>
> I started G using geronimo.bat.  The server started fine.  But the
> exception causing startup failure for others was thrown after the
> server started :o).  Here is the console output tail.

Ya. Joe noted the slightly different behavior on Windows last night.
Same root problem.

If you're pointing out that I said we should use "geronimo.sh" when
testing, then you're right. I should have typed "geronimo.sh or
geronimo.bat"...

--kevan

Re: Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Kevan,

I started G using geronimo.bat.  The server started fine.  But the exception
causing startup failure for others was thrown after the server started :o).
Here is the console output tail.

Geronimo Application Server started
Exception in thread "Timer-2"
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfiguratio
nError: Provider org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
        at javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.XmlUtil.newTransformerFactory
(XmlUtil
.java:95)
        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.XmlUtil.newTransformerFactory
(XmlUtil
.java:79)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager.saveXm
lToFile(LocalAttributeManager.java:494)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager.save(L
ocalAttributeManager.java:459)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager$2.run(
LocalAttributeManager.java:667)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
I just started taking a look at this.  The Xerces level we're using
requires an upgrade to the XML apis we're using.  In order for this to

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.jaceklaskowski.pl

Re: Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    What is the best place to set this property?
System.setProperty("javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory",

--- Rick McGuire <ri...@...> wrote:

> I just started taking a look at this.  The Xerces level we're using
> requires an upgrade to the XML apis we're using.  In order for this
> work, the XML apis jar must be in endorsed.dirs to override the JVM
> native one.  On Sun 1.4.2, this works ok because the newer version of
>
> the XML apis is able to locate the xalan transformer implementation
> because it's native to the JVM.  On Sun 1.5, they've repackaged the
> class, but the version of the apis we're using doesn't know about the
>
> name change, so things fail.
>
> It seems like the best solution for Geronimo is to include Xalan, but
>
> this appears it will require upleveling Xerces and the apis as well.
>
> We've already got a Jira open on that issue too.
>
> Rick
>

> Jacek Laskowski wrote:

Sponsored Link

Compare mortgage rates for today.
Get up to 5 free quotes. www2.nextag.com

Re: Server startup fails with Sun JDK 1.5, xalan missing

Posted by Rakesh Midha <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.