Posted to user@flume.apache.org by rektide <re...@voodoowarez.com> on 2011/12/16 19:46:03 UTC

node.js & -ng

I got -NG compiling yesterday, hi everyone.

At the outlay I hadn't noticed that the main ser/deser format in -NG is Avro.  I'd been doing
0.9.5 dev with node-flume and node-thrift, two Node.js projects using Thrift. What opinions
do people have for ways forwards?

Node-avro looks unmaintained.  Should I dedicate time trying to port Avro to Node?

Should I add JIRA tickets for a ThriftSink / ThriftSource and work on those? Is there any
reason we wouldn't want Thrift support back in Flume?

Regards,
rektide

Re: node.js & -ng

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
rektide:

It would be great to have an easily accessible path to Flume integration
within Node. Sounds like a great project.

I think we do want a thrift source and sink in NG. The real question, in my
mind, is what that interface looks like. It probably makes sense to create
a ThriftSource that has a similar interface to that of the AvroSource (see
below). We also will want to have other thrift-based sources like a Scribe
compatibility source. We had this for Flume OG.

There's nothing to stop you from also doing a node-avro library (or
whatever Node calls them) but my guess is that that's quite a bit more work.

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer