Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sascha Herpers <he...@wiso.uni-koeln.de> on 2006/07/24 06:36:51 UTC

Problem with username/password

Hello,

I have a repository on a server running apache and serving the
repository through http/https. So far everything worked fine untill I
update the (windows) svn-binaries from 1.2.3 to the current version.

Now I constantly get errors like this one (translated from german):
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '<path>'
svn: PROPFIND von '<path>': 401 Authorization Required (<server>)

I tried using --username and --password, but without success. Looking at
the error log of apache, I can see, that these parameters are ignored.
<domain>\\<user> is used instead.

Can somebody tell me, why it worked with the previous version (1.2.3)?
How can I force svn.exe to use the supplied user and password?

Thanks,
	Sascha

    Sascha Herpers
    Universität zu Köln
    Seminar für Supply Chain Management und Produktion
    Albertus-Magnus-Platz
    50923 Köln

    E-Mail: herpers@wiso.uni-koeln.de
    Tel.:   (0221) 4 70 - 37 40
    Fax:    (0221) 4 70 - 51 40
    WWW:    http://www.scmp.uni-koeln.de

Re: Problem with username/password

Posted by Sascha Herpers <he...@wiso.uni-koeln.de>.
Hi,

> My guess is that the upgrade switched to some libraries that are incompatible
> with the ones that apache is using. You will be able to see more when you
> look at the apache logfiles.
>
> I can but guess though, since it is not clear whether you upgraded the client,
> the server or both. If you upgraded the client and suddenly can't contact a
> working server anymore that would probably be a bug.

I upgraded using "svn-1.3.2-setup.exe" from the Documents & Files
section of the subverions web site.

Looking at the error log files revealed only, that the windows logon
user in the form of <domain>\\<user> was automatically used. I deleted
%userprofiles%\program files\subversion to make sure, the password cache
was empty, but without any change. Calling "svn info <serverpath>" still
used the currently logged on user.

[I still could connect to my repository using TSVN, but I think that
software uses it's own libraries, right?]

The question is: why doesn't ask svn.exe for username and password?

[I don't know, if you need any other infos about my server/client
configuration to help me. If so, tell me please.]

Regards,

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Monday 24 July 2006 08:36, Sascha Herpers wrote:
> I have a repository on a server running apache and serving the
> repository through http/https. So far everything worked fine untill I
> update the (windows) svn-binaries from 1.2.3 to the current version.
>
> Now I constantly get errors like this one (translated from german):
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '<path>'
> svn: PROPFIND von '<path>': 401 Authorization Required (<server>)
>
> I tried using --username and --password, but without success. Looking at
> the error log of apache, I can see, that these parameters are ignored.
> <domain>\\<user> is used instead.
>
> Can somebody tell me, why it worked with the previous version (1.2.3)?
> How can I force svn.exe to use the supplied user and password?

My guess is that the upgrade switched to some libraries that are incompatible
with the ones that apache is using. You will be able to see more when you
look at the apache logfiles.

I can but guess though, since it is not clear whether you upgraded the client,
the server or both. If you upgraded the client and suddenly can't contact a
working server anymore that would probably be a bug.

Uli

Visit our website at <http://www.domino-printing.com/>
This Email and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any reading, redistribution, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer.

E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception, viruses and unauthorised amendment and Domino UK Limited does not accept liability for any such corruption, interception, viruses or amendment or their consequences.