Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Matt Wiseley <ma...@wiseley.com> on 2003/02/18 03:11:47 UTC

imap-like folders for web mail interface

I'm in the process of developing a web mail system that uses James. Rather
than use POP3 to pull mail out of James and into some other kind of
repository, I'm considering accessing it directly from James' "inbox" table
in mysql (via the James classes, of course) and modifying the
repository_name field value to specify which folder the message has been
moved to, if any. So instead of the repository_name value being, say,
"userjoe" for a message, it might be "userjoe/trash" after being moved into
a trash folder. This also allows mail to be read from the POP3 server and
the web interface at the same time, while stored in only one place.

When IMAP is finished, I'd like to use that, but until then, does anyone see
anything wrong with this method? General thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has preliminary thoughts on how SQL storage will work to
support IMAP folders when that piece gets written, I might try and use
something closer to that.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: imap-like folders for web mail interface

Posted by Disha <di...@openskysoftware.com>.
On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 10:36, Matt Wiseley wrote:
> > I am doing something similar except I have written a mailet that
> > duplicates the LocalDelivery mailet and stores mails into myInbox rather
> > than the james provided inbox adding extra fields such as status and
> > folders that pop3 does not provide.
>
> Disha,
>
> That does seem like a good way to do it... although it raises a few
> questions:
>
> Are you providing POP3 <and> Web access?

  I am yet working with providing web-access and havnt looked into
providing pop. It is a good question but I am sure there is a way to get
pop look into myInbox. Let me know if you find something.

> If so, are you storing the messages twice (1 in [inbox] and one in
> [myInbox])? Or do you have some way of making POP3 look at the myInbox
> table?
It wouldnt be really efficient to store them in both, though can be
done.

Posted by Matt Wiseley <ma...@wiseley.com>.

Posted by Disha <di...@openskysoftware.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Rather than use POP3 to pull mail out of James and into some
> other kind of repository, I'm considering accessing it
> directly from James' "inbox" table in mysql

Be prepared to keep up when James v3 re-does the storage mechanism, unless
you are only concerned with the current JDBC table structure.

> Also, if anyone has preliminary thoughts on how SQL storage will work to
> support IMAP folders when that piece gets written, I might try and use
> something closer to that.

You could participate in those discussions, although you should realize that
not all IMAP stores will use SQL storage.

	--- Noel