Posted to dev@hop.apache.org by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/27 20:27:37 UTC

Password encoders

Dear Hopiverse,

I took the liberty to push out pull request 586
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-hop/pull/586>.  It synchronizes the
password encoding of the metadata with the rest of the Hop platform.
Mistakes of the past are best not repeated...

To test this fairly small change I then wrote an AES two way password
encoder plugin also included in the PR.
I wrote the unit tests I thought were needed and wrote the documentation
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-hop/blob/43a522b8c7a9f7a03d1c941fb99ebd9468f7f89e/plugins/misc/passwords/src/main/doc/aespasswords.adoc>
to go along with it... but I would appreciate an extra couple of eyes to
see if it all works as expected to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Re: Password encoders

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.
Now that I've seen the list of projects here
<https://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/> I sort of want Hop to be on that
list :-)

In all seriousness I don't think that the AES password encoder is going to
be the issue.  I've set the algorithm to 128 bit since it's a plugin and
people can write their own version with higher encryption.  I knew from my
previous job that lots of bits lead to lots of export restrictions.

That being said, there are other things in the Hop codebase like the PGP
transforms and actions.

I'll go over the possible concerns we have with Hans and put those in
HOP-2469 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-2469>.

Thanks!
Matt

Re: Password encoders