Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net> on 2004/03/11 18:47:48 UTC

Notes on buliding a distribution

I think I have the build back to 100% or better now.

I've done a small amount of surgery on Mindbridge's automatic dependency download logic.

The key property is now called ext.dist.dir.  It defaults to ext-dist but can be overriden to an
arbitrary directory, ie.

  ant -Dext.dist.dir=c:/ext-dist

There's been a bit of build.xml surgery to pass down the ext.dist.dir as an absolute path to
sub-builds.

All dependencies, except for clover, download automatically and correctly.  This includes OGNL and
Javassist.

I had some problems with Forrest that I couldn't diagnost. Turning off the (useless?) "whole site"
options took care of that.

If you want to roll out a new release, the key file is support/build.xml.

Copy this file to a work directory, i.e., C:/Work

ant -emacs setup build

setup: CVS export of everything into a subdirectory
build: Sets ext.dist.dir to ext-dist (from current directory) and does the build (in the
subdirectory). Invokes the dist target, which builds the code and documentation and evertyhing.
Takes about 15 minutes on my laptop.

For example, after building, you'll see a 3.0-rc-1 subdirectory with the Tapestry distributions (the
.zip, .tar.gz and .md5) files there.

After that, it's a manual process to sign the files and copy them into place on Jakarta using scp.
Here's a general outline I've adapted:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/ant/ReleaseInstructions?rev=1.12&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

More of this should be documented in the contributor's guide.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components