Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Armes <ta...@fr.imaje.com> on 2003/11/18 10:32:55 UTC

Dump format

Hello,

According to the subversion book, the svn dump command should only dump the
deltas between versions (except for the first version dumped).

I've been looking at the output from the dump command, and for me the entire
file is included, not just the delta.  I've tried using the deltify command,
which claims to have succeeded, but the dump file output remains the same.

Can someone please explain this?

Tim

Re: Dump format

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Tim Armes <ta...@fr.imaje.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> According to the subversion book, the svn dump command should only dump the
> deltas between versions (except for the first version dumped).

Hm.  Book is a little misleading.  It dumps the *tree deltas* as
opposed to always dumping every file in every revision.  But yes, as
you've noted, it always dumps "fulltexts" for the individual files, as
opposed to, say, contextual diffs or svndiff contents deltas.

Re: Dump format

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Tim Armes wrote:

> According to the subversion book, the svn dump command should only dump the
> deltas between versions (except for the first version dumped).
>
> I've been looking at the output from the dump command, and for me the entire
> file is included, not just the delta.  I've tried using the deltify command,
> which claims to have succeeded, but the dump file output remains the same.

Just a misunderstanding.  It dumps only the files that have changed, but for each such file, it dumps the whole file.  The book does not make that clear.

- Julian