Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by s-...@artefrance.fr on 2003/02/18 00:24:01 UTC

Re: (private reply) Variable in Static Content (forgot)

Thanks you for your answer !

And many thanks for the english lesson, I really need it, excuse my poor grammar... But I think the usage of "wanna" was right in my sentence ("I wanna draw the title ..."), isn't it ?

Anyway, that's not the question, thanks you for having a look on my problem, I'll send you the stack trace and the debug mode output tomorrow over the mailing list (I'm currently at home, using a webmail). I'm currently using the 0.20.4 fop version on a apache/tomcat server with the 1.3.1_04 JDK.

I understood the difference between my xml to xsl:fo transformation (with XSLT) and the formatting object process, but I'm new to all of this so I sometime code stupid things like this fo:page-number usage in a variable xsl element.

My implementation of FOP in our application can handle multiple transformation, so I think I will make a first XSLT transformation of the XML I receive to have well formed and "easy-to-format" XML data (ordered by category, with something like a super tag <CATEGORY lib="Histoire Ancienne"> that organize my tv programs for them to be easier to format in a page layout). Do you think that's a better way for me to handle this problem ?

Excuse me if I borred you with my "noob thought", but this project is important for me, I'm trying to convince people here that FOP in particular and XML in general can handle our needs, from the "well dressed" catalog to the tabular presentation of data.

Excuse my youngness, I'll try to search more by myself and stop borring you with my problem ! ;)

Simon

PS : Hey ! I was reading your mail again, you told me the code was right ! Maybe this NullPointerException was jut for the first page or something ! Raaaah, I can't wait until tomorrow to see that ! :)

Posted by Roland Neilands <rn...@pulsemining.com.au>.
Simon,

> > So I am wondering how to put a
> > dynamic variable in a static content (it is working well
> for the page
> > number) !
> You can't the way you think you do it. Actually you are mixing
> up XSL transformation and formatting. These are two different
> things. A fo:page-number is evaluated by a very different
> process at a different time than
> a <xsl:when test="$THEME='Histoire Ancienne'">

Just a thought, but fo:marker might do what you want. Check it out.

> And many thanks for the english lesson, I really need it,
> excuse my poor grammar... But I think the usage of "wanna"
> was right in my sentence ("I wanna draw the title ..."), isn't it ?
Usage but not context - slang is only spoken. Use "want to"
"noob" - newbie?
And no, it wasn't boring ;)

Cheers,
Roland