Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by DW <xf...@hotmail.com> on 2011/02/25 03:00:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Newbie

Matt Guise wrote:
> Great! This is awesome! Glad you are here.
>
> My ultimate goal is to run the server on my iMac running Mac OS X Version
> 10.6.6.  Using Adobe Dreamweaver I want to test PHP pages locally on my
> computer. All mac's come with Apache installed but for some reason mine is
> not running right. I called AppleCare and they said that I need to reinstall
> Apache.
>
> When I type in the Safari browser " http://localhost/" I get the message "
> Safari can¹t open the page ³http://localhost/² because the server
> unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server
> is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."
>
> 1. Do you think I should reinstall Apache?
>
> 2. If so I downloaded httpd-2.2.17 and it is sitting on my desktop. Where
> should I put that folder?  I keep all of my websites in the site folder.
> Mathewguise/sites.
>
> http://192.168.1.100/~mathewguise/
>
> Thanks for helping me with my extremely novice questions.
>
> Matt

You will better off installing: MAMP.  You can download it from here:

<http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html> OR
<http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html>

When you have finished with it, you can read this article:

<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt1.html>

hth