Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/11 11:43:29 UTC

Flash Builder desktop debugging issue

Hi,

I have a problem since a few days that is driving me absolutely nuts.
Flash Builder 4.7 is unable to connect to the debugger. It works for web
projects but not for AIR desktop projects.

I have tried numerous things like cleaning workspace, restarting FB, ..
nothing works.

I have downloaded the debug player for Chrome, Firefox and standalone.

flashbuilder.eu/flash-player-version.html tells me I have the debug player
installed correctly for both.

I have placed the Flash Player debugger in /Applications/Adobe Flash
Builder 4.7/player/mac/26.0/Flash Player.app and used that path in the
debug pane of the Flash Builder preferences so it should use that one ...

Although the name is Flash Player.app and not Flash Player Debugger.app
when I open it it shows as the Flash Player Debugger so that looks to work
also.

Any tips on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Re: Flash Builder desktop debugging issue

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
If you're having trouble with AIR, the Flash Player version installed
shouldn't matter.

Have you double checked your compiler options? You should make sure your
project isn't setting -debug=false somehow. I forgot that I had done that
once!

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Inside the your SDK, the adl executable is used to debug AIR apps. (adl =
AIR debug launcher)

If nothing in your SDK changed, then it's probably related to compiler
arguments or something related to building the SWF.

- Josh

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I'm not sure you "must" have an mm.cfg file.  I think if you don't have
one, you just won't get certain kinds of information in the flashlog.txt
but the debugger would still work.  Mine looks like Josh's so you can try
starting with that.

If you had an mm.cfg file, Flash Builder might have written to it if you
tried to profile an application.  If it started out empty, it would be
modified to point to the profiler plugin, then that line would be removed
when the profiling session ended.

I would say that the next step is to use the command-line debugger (fdb).

-Alex

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
OK I finally found the culprit! A colleague asked me to test some DEV setup
on a database change he did. Therefor he told me to install an app which
would edit my localhost file. I did not see this as a related cause until I
saw this possible solution:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/10530208/640907

Setting the debugger to 127.0.0.1 fixes the issue for me!

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
OK this is weird ...

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Fréderic,

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Same for me.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
  As a point of clarification, are you trying to debug a desktop AIR
Application or a Browser based application?

  You mentioned you downloaded debug players for browsers, but that
you're trying to debug an AIR Desktop application.  The two things
should be completely unrelated, so I'm not sure which is the issue.

  To debug a browser based applications, I use Firefox.  I couldn't get
a debugger to work in any other browser.  Be warned, at least on
Windows, Flash/Firefox is not HIGH DPI aware.  So, on my Surface Book
everything is too small to be practically usable.

  There used to be a chrome work around.  For a while,  you could
install the debugger in Chrome and launch chrome with the
"disable-bundled-ppapi-flash" command line argument.  I never could
figure out how to add that browser flag when launching a debugger
session through Flash Builder.

  I haven't done this in a while, so if you were to tell it no longer
worked I'd believe it.

  In terms of AIR Debugging, for me it just works.  Install latest
version of Apache Flex; create AIR Project; click Debug; and it works.

Does this help?

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur