Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2009/04/07 16:04:35 UTC

PlutoContainer doAdmin

Hi,

I'm wondering what the use of the doAdmin method in the PlutoContainer
is? At least in Pluto it's never called.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: PlutoContainer doAdmin

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Eric Dalquist wrote:
>> We use it in uPortal to perform administrative tasks on the portlet's
>> session. Such as invalidating it on logout or clearing specific
>> attributes if the portlets throws an error and needs to be 'reset' by
>> the user. I think we may have a few other uses where we need to be able
>> to run uPortal provided code within the portlet's ServletContext without
>> actually invoking a method on the portlet.
>>
> Thanks Eric, ok so I guess we should leave this method in :)
FWIW, there are also additional "administrative" features in the driver api like AdministrativeRequestListener etc. which aren't used by the
container itself either.
It would be possible to provide an AdministrativePortletContainer interface extending the PortletContainer interface in the driver api which
then would add this doAdmin method, and a corresponding AdministrativePortletContainerImpl implementing this to even further "clean" the
container api and implementation.
But I'm fine with keeping the doAdmin, although Jetspeed currenly simply ignores this API. Maybe we'll find a usage for it in the future and
then having it already provided could be handy then ;)

Ate

Re: PlutoContainer doAdmin

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.
It would be much appreciated :)

Re: PlutoContainer doAdmin

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: PlutoContainer doAdmin

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.
We use it in uPortal to perform administrative tasks on the portlet's
session. Such as invalidating it on logout or clearing specific
attributes if the portlets throws an error and needs to be 'reset' by
the user. I think we may have a few other uses where we need to be able
to run uPortal provided code within the portlet's ServletContext without
actually invoking a method on the portlet.

-Eric