Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jeff Prickett <pr...@www1.kc.aoindustries.com> on 2002/03/19 07:07:07 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/periodicity/conf/torque build.jars.properties deps.list

On 18 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 00:26, Jeff Prickett wrote:
> > On 17 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl wrote:

<snip>

> We have some pretty hairy builds in Turbine, dealing with code
> generation as you are and performing run time tests that are complicated
> in themselves. I will take a peek at your system, but I think most
> things can be accommodated.

We trying two different things with the build system. One I want to make
sure that I can thoroughly understand torque's build tasks so I am
systematically tearing apart torque's stock build process to see if I can
rebuild it slightly differently.

The main reason for this is that I want the user to be able to download
periodicity and have it be a self contained unit (ie the user does not
have to manually download any other packages). Dependencies on JAAS and
J2EE were also removed specifically for this reason (actually J2EE
dependencies were removed because of an overwhelming lack of interest in
the technology).

> > My theory is this:
> >
> > One big property file is too confusing because new users to the software
> > do not necessarily know which properties they have to configure in order
> > to get the software configured properly.
>
> For building I like no properties files :-)

Hmmm, not sure this is possible for release 0.0.1 :), but we can dream!!!

<snip>

> No problem. Maven probably can't cover 100% of cases in it's current
> form. But the family of Turbine applications is pretty good test case
> and things are looking positive.

<snip>

One thing I would like to discuss with you among many others about maven
is this:

Currently, the torque's system has one set of properties for databases.
They are

database
databaseUser
databasePassword
createDatabaseUrl
databaseUrl
databaseDriver

My proposal would be that you expand the properties and have specific
properties for each database like this

database
databaseUser
databasePassword

mysql.createDatabaseUrl
mysql.databaseUrl
mysql.databaseDriver

postgresql.createDatabaseUrl
postgresql.databaseUrl
postgresql.databaseDriver

You could have the build.xml file key off of the database name and execute
another task via an antcall task that would be specific to that database.
You can see an example of this if you checkout the current periodicity
build.xml file. This simplifies things because the user does not have to
remember details such as the class name of his database driver and such.
Its all right there and the build system makes the call. Anyway, I think
it simplifies things a bit...

Thanks,
Jeff Prickett

PS- Jason, if this thread becomes to maven specific I will follow you over
to Turbine and continue it there...