Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr> on 2008/08/13 08:54:29 UTC

Re : svn commit: r685401 - /mina/trunk/core/pom.xml

Hi guys,
+1 to dependency discussion. I didn't know we could just add some apache class in in order to avoid adding dependencies to the core.
In fact, the code used the class and i thought it was preferable to import the dependency to avoid code dup so i modified it just before committing.
Talking abouts this, i'm relatively new to maven but parent pom already enlists commons-codec as a dependency
why do the core child pom can't beneficiate from this dependency ?
I'll correct the headers tonight : as the svn tag says, its only the initial commit and it was done on 2:00 AM
There are other points to discuss about the code but i wanted to commit it to trunk to give all the opportunity to start test driving it.
Cordialement, Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 06:54:29 +0000 (GMT)
Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> +1 to dependency discussion. I didn't know we could just add some
> apache class in in order to avoid adding dependencies to the core. In
> fact, the code used the class and i thought it was preferable to
> import the dependency to avoid code dup so i modified it just before
> committing. Talking abouts this, i'm relatively new to maven but
> parent pom already enlists commons-codec as a dependency why do
> the core child pom can't beneficiate from this dependency ? I'll
> correct the headers tonight : as the svn tag says, its only the
> initial commit and it was done on 2:00 AM There are other points to
> discuss about the code but i wanted to commit it to trunk to give all
> the opportunity to start test driving it. Cordialement, Regards,
> -Edouard De Oliveira- http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

I finally copied base64.java (and removed some references to other
classes) to o.a.mina.util and remvoed all trace of commons codec from
the poms.

I think it was here when the asyncweb http codec was assimilated as a
mina module.

Julien

Re: Re : svn commit: r685401 - /mina/trunk/core/pom.xml

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Edouard De Oliveira wrote:
> Hi guys,
> +1 to dependency discussion. I didn't know we could just add some apache class in in order to avoid adding dependencies to the core.
> In fact, the code used the class and i thought it was preferable to import the dependency to avoid code dup so i modified it just before committing.
> Talking abouts this, i'm relatively new to maven but parent pom already enlists commons-codec as a dependency
> why do the core child pom can't beneficiate from this dependency ?

It could be interesting to check if we need this dependency at all.
> I'll correct the headers tonight : as the svn tag says, its only the initial commit and it was done on 2:00 AM

No problem. It happens all the time :) It' s just that it's better when
detected early, otherwise it may stay as is for ever... And it's a
burden to add Javadoc to code which has been committed months (or years
!) ago by someone else !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Re : svn commit: r685401 - /mina/trunk/core/pom.xml

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Edouard De Oliveira
<do...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Talking abouts this, i'm relatively new to maven but parent pom already enlists commons-codec as a dependency
> why do the core child pom can't beneficiate from this dependency ?

It's declared in the parent pom within the dependencyManagement which
means that child poms won't include it unless explicitly added within
the "dependency" element. It's just a way of handling the version on a
project global basis.

> It could be interesting to check if we need this dependency at all.

A quick search turns up nothing.

/niklas

Re: Re : svn commit: r685401 - /mina/trunk/core/pom.xml

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
Hi,
Well dependencies of a lib is always a hot subject, not as big as
logging, but it is :) We can't introduce a new dep without consensus,
or the angry mob will lynch us. I think common-codec is used nowhere,
it's probably a mistake if it's still in parent pom.xml.

As Emm know it's a PITA to javadoc code that was forgotten and MINA
suffered a lot of this. So I vetoed the code, I know it's a bit
extreme, but I think it's better to commit with the javadoc than in two
step (code, then doco). First because it's harder to review and if you
start test driving the code before writing the minimum javadoc, you
will soon be too busy tunning/fixing issues and there is a probability
to forgot the javadoc.

As said there, http://markmail.org/message/fbe24r5bhzvf72wx I think we
don't need enormous javadoc at start, but a class header and a little
explanation on each public method.

Anyway, you deserve a free beer next time I go to Paris for the proxy
support :)

Julien