Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2015/07/03 15:55:40 UTC

Apache / mod_perl / Perl under Windows

Hi.

Can someone help clearing my confusion (again) as to what kind of Apache / mod_perl / Perl
combination works under Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) ?

I thank Steve Hay many times for providing numerous versions of mod_perl for numerous
versions of platforms and numerous versions of Active and Strawberry Perl.

And I finally managed to have the following combination working under Windows server 2008
64-bit R2 :
- Apache 2.2 from : http://www.apachelounge.com/download/win64/binaries/httpd-2.2.29-win64.zip

- ActivePerl 5.18.4.1804 from :
http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads/thank-you?dl=http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/releases/5.18.4.1804/ActivePerl-5.18.4.1804-MSWin32-x64-298913.msi

- mod_perl 2.0.8 from :
http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/mod_perl-2.0.8-activeperl-5.18.4.1803-x64.zip

but before that, I spent most of a day fighting with various versions of all the above and
obscure Windows error messages ranging from "the application is not a Win32 application"
to "the Service started but terminated unexpectedly" to .. nothing.

One problem was (I suppose, but finally I am totally unsure of) that I initially tried to
use a Strawberry Perl (which seems to tell me that it is compiled with gcc), but could
never find an Apache 2.2 binary similarly compiled with gcc.
Anyway, I am quite confused now again as to what must match what.

Grateful for any insight.

André

Re: Apache / mod_perl / Perl under Windows

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Michael Lackhoff wrote:
> Am 03.07.2015 um 15:55 schrieb André Warnier:
>
>> Grateful for any insight.
>
> No real insight but a working setup for development which runs from
> USB-stick and on about any system from XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit
> (sorry, no experience with Windows server, all my servers run Linux,
> Windows is just nice for development):
> - httpd-2.2.29-win32-ssl_0.9.8.zip from apachelounge
> I cannot see exactly this version any longer on their site but I think
> it is a VC9 build so
> https://www.apachelounge.com/download/win32/binaries/httpd-2.2.29-win32-ssl_0.9.8-VC9.zip
> should be similar
> -
> http://strawberryperl.com/download/5.20.2.1/strawberry-perl-no64-5.20.2.1-32bit-portable.zip
> Important: use the "no USE_64_BIT_INT" version
> -
> http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/mod_perl-2.0.8-strawberryperl-5.20.1.1-32bit-no64.zip
>
> This setup works quite well for me.

Thank you for another combination which works.

What I am trying to figure out though, is what are the factors which make it so that this
combination (and the one I mentioned before) work, as opposed to others which don't ?
There are 3 parts, each with the following variables :
   - the version of /that/ package (e.g. Apache httpd 2.2.x, or mod_perl 2.0.8)
   - the architecture : 32-bit or 64-bit
   - the compiler with which that package is compiled (VC 9, 10, 11 or gcc e.g.)

Which factors must match which, to have a chance of a working combination ?

I am quite sure that I tried together :
   - an Apache 2.2.x from ApacheLounge (compiled with VC)
   - Strawberry perl 5.18 32-bit
   - mod_perl 2.0.8 32-bit no 64 strawberry from Steve Hay
and that I could never get this to work under Windows 2008 (64-bit).
That's why I switched to activeperl 5.18 and mod_perl 2.0.8 for ActivePerl, but
Strawberry-perl would have definitely been my preference, as it is what I usually
recommend nowadays to my customers, for various reasons.
There are just a bit too many factor combinations possible, to figure this out easily by
myself, so if someone has a clue as to what matters and what doesn't..

P.S.  In my defense, I was trying to figure this out at a customer, under some time
pressure, by comparison between a working Linux Debian server (English), a working Windows
2003 Server 32-bit (German), and a non-working Windows 2008 Server 64-bit (Dutch), each
with its own variety of localised error messages, and each in a different geographical
location, so it may be that at some point I lost my usual calm and rational investigative
approach here..

Long live Linux Debian.

Re: Apache / mod_perl / Perl under Windows

Posted by Michael Lackhoff <mi...@lackhoff.de>.
Am 03.07.2015 um 15:55 schrieb André Warnier:

> Grateful for any insight.

No real insight but a working setup for development which runs from
USB-stick and on about any system from XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit
(sorry, no experience with Windows server, all my servers run Linux,
Windows is just nice for development):
- httpd-2.2.29-win32-ssl_0.9.8.zip from apachelounge
I cannot see exactly this version any longer on their site but I think
it is a VC9 build so
https://www.apachelounge.com/download/win32/binaries/httpd-2.2.29-win32-ssl_0.9.8-VC9.zip
should be similar
-
http://strawberryperl.com/download/5.20.2.1/strawberry-perl-no64-5.20.2.1-32bit-portable.zip
Important: use the "no USE_64_BIT_INT" version
-
http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/mod_perl-2.0.8-strawberryperl-5.20.1.1-32bit-no64.zip

This setup works quite well for me.

-Michael