Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sharrissf <st...@terracottatech.com> on 2007/06/10 05:58:36 UTC

Redirects in ibiblio?

I was wondering if it would be possible to post a redirect to ibiblio that
would take someone to a different maven repository to find what they are
looking for. Sort of making ibiblio both a repository and a directory
service for finding the proper repository for software?

Re: Redirects in ibiblio?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 10 Jun 07, at 8:51 AM 10 Jun 07, sharrissf wrote:

> Many projects like to keep various kinds of statistics. Sourceforge
> does some
> of that.

You mean akin to google analytics?

> A repository redirect
> doesn't sound much like complex functionality to me. It's just
> returning the
> location of a repository
> that contains the download. Seems simple to me but then again, I
> didn't
> write the code or do the design.

It's simply an Apache webserver serving up the content.

> In my opinion, if it has this feature then it can become ubiquitous. A
> network of repostiories for people to put stuff downloadable for
> maven with
> a directory service in the middle. I haven't run any statistics but I
> suspect a whole bunch of the jars people use can't be gotten
> directly, even
> from ibiblio/repo1, because the owners won't hand over that last
> bit of
> control.

They can have their repositories for their own development but when
it comes to working for everyone else I believe the only real
solution is pushing it to central. Why? Because most of the
repositories setup by others tend to be crap, not managed, and things
come and go which makes them completely unstable. For example, I have
already seen release POMs being created that list repositories
listing dependencies that are no longer available in those
repositories rendering that release POM completely useless. Simply a
function of making thing work for their projects, and inadvertently
screwing everyone else. A network of repositories is nice in theory,
hasn't work out so well in practice and really the central repository
is not that terribly big and we'll make it easy for people to push to
the central repository.

But stats for projects is something we can definitely improve upon.

Re: Install/deploy a project with a single file

Posted by Christian Kalkhoff <me...@ninan.info>.
Hi,

depends largely on what you want to deploy it as. As a JAR or a RAR
(Resource Archive) or something else. Look at the maven plugin page
for plugins resembling your artifact type.

Regards,

Christian

Am 10.06.2007 um 18:21 schrieb Rahamim, Zvi (Zvi):

> Hi,
> I have a project with only a single xml file.
> What should I define in the pom.xml file so that it will be installed
> and deployed?
> Thanks

Christian Kalkhoff <me...@ninan.info>
Softwareentwickler und Administrator
http://ninan.info
http://www.kalkhoff.net

Re: Install/deploy a project with a single file

Posted by "Napoleon Esmundo C. Ramirez" <na...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Wow, I never thought a project could consist only of a single xml file.
Anyway, I assume that it is a java-related project, so suggest that you
package it as a resource (relocate it in ${basedir}/src/main/resources) and
package it as a jar file.  You can use a simple pom.xml (containing only the
modelVersion, groupId, artifactId, version) that way.

Cheers!
Nap

Posted by "Vandermeeren, Jo" <Jo...@ordina.be>.
Hi,

Just wrap it up as a jar-packaged module, put the xml in src/main/resources
and you should be fine.
Remember to lookup the xml file via the classpath.

Cheers
Jo

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
Looks like you need to create a custom extension:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

Eric

On 6/12/07, Rahamim, Zvi (Zvi) <zr...@avaya.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for your answers,
> Some comments:
> 1. The single file is used by different projects, this is the reason I
> want it to be in a separate project.
> 2. I don't want it to be packaged, but I want it to be as is.
> Zvi

Eric Redmond
http://www.sonatype.com

RE: Install/deploy a project with a single file

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Redirects in ibiblio?

Posted by sharrissf <st...@terracottatech.com>.
Many projects like to keep various kinds of statistics. Sourceforge does some
of that. A repository redirect

Re: Redirects in ibiblio?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.