Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Marinko, Jeff" <Je...@intuit.com> on 2002/08/13 19:50:36 UTC

Tomcat Connection Management/Performance

Greetings!

I've been running some performance tests and have run into a slight problem.
Connections are not being properly closed/timed out, and this causes a great
deal of processing by Tomcat and incoming connections to be refused (as the
connections reach "acceptCount" in server.xml).

I am using a simple tool to do transactions per second (TPS), and for the
most part Tomcat and my underlying servlet are performing very well
(underlying servlet does not create any connections).  However, after
running for a while (several thousand requests), I get numerous "connection
refused" errors.  When I do a "netstat -a" on WinNT 4 or Win2K, I can see
numerous connections between the test program/box and Tomcat sitting in a
TIME_WAIT status.  These connections persist even after I stop the test, and
even after the "connectionTimeout" value I specified in server.xml.

The numerous connections eventually go away, but not nearly quickly enough.
Any advice on how to remedy this problem?

Some details:  Tomcat 4.0.4, WinNT/2K, JDK 1.3.1 and 1.4 (happens on both).
In server.xml:
       <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" bufferSize="8192"
               acceptCount="2000" debug="0" connectionTimeout="5000"/>

If I'm interpreting the docs right, the "connectionTimeout" should be 5
seconds.  Typically, the connections that are the problem don't go away for
30+ seconds, far longer than I can afford.

Any suggestions would be great!