Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@proteosys.com> on 2008/02/25 14:19:48 UTC

Tomcat library problem [was: TinyMCE problems]

Hello,

followup to the second problem I reported yesterday. This took some time to
unravel, so I thought I should share my findings.

It turned out that at some point the standard Java libawt.so is used, which in
turn tries to load libmlib_image.so (located in the same directory). However,
the directory in question is not in the standard library load path and loading
fails. After setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable for the tomcat
process, the problem went away.

Determining the cause of the problem was not easy.

The first time the error appears after tomcat is started, there is one error
message of type java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError, mentioning libawt.so. Afterwards
one sees this:

 > http-8280-Processor25 INFO  sitemap - Redirecting to 'cocoon:/view/tab'
 > http-8280-Processor25 ERROR [/lenya].[Cocoon] - Servlet.service() for servlet
 > Cocoon threw exception
 > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
 > 	at org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeContext.<init>(Unknown Source)
 > 	at org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeContext.<init>(Unknown Source)
 > 	at org.apache.batik.transcoder.SVGAbstractTranscoder.createBridgeContext(Unknown > Source)

Unfortunately, versions of Java 1.5.x before 1.5.0_14 (and after 1.5.0_10) do
not display a sensible error message together with the unsatified link error:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: Can't load IA 32-bit .so on a IA 32-bit platform

Upgrading to 1.5.0_14 resulted in a sensible error message about
libmlib_image.so not being found.

   Rainer Schöpf

Re: Tomcat library problem [was: TinyMCE problems]

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer Schöpf schrieb:
>> Hello,
>>
>> followup to the second problem I reported yesterday. This took some
>> time to unravel, so I thought I should share my findings.
>
> thanks a lot for digging into this and sharing the results!
> We'll add this to the FAQ.

Done (in the new documentation, not published yet).
Thanks again!

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Tomcat library problem [was: TinyMCE problems]

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Rainer,

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO