Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2011/07/28 21:53:40 UTC

[VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

*** Please change your Subject: line for any [DISCUSSION] of this [VOTE]

As the discussions on the ODF Toolkit threads seem to be winding down,
I would like to initiate the vote to accept the ODF Toolkit as an
Apache Incubator project.

At the end of this mail, I've put a copy of the current proposal.
Here is a link to the document in the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal?action=recall&rev=7

I encourage everybody to read the proposal thread before voting:

http://old.nabble.com/-PROPOSAL--ODF-Toolkit-for-Incubation-td32102643.html

Please cast your votes:

[  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
[  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
[  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

This vote will close 72 hours from now.

- Sam Ruby

= The ODF Toolkit =

== Abstract ==

The ODF Toolkit is a set of Java modules that allow programmatic
creation, scanning and manipulation of OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC
26300 == ODF) documents. Unlike other approaches which rely on runtime
manipulation of heavy-weight editors via an automation interface, the
ODF Toolkit is lightweight and ideal for server use.

The ODF Toolkit is currently hosted by the ODF Toolkit Union and is
licensed under the Apache 2.0 license.

== Proposal ==

To move the following components from the ODF Toolkit Union to a
single "ODF Toolkit" project at Apache:

 *Simple Java API for ODF: http://simple.odftoolkit.org/

 *ODFDOM: http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odfdom/pages/Home

 *ODF Conformance Tools:
http://odftoolkit.org/projects/conformancetools/pages/Home

(We'd be open as well to a catchier name.  We've been calling it "The
ODF Toolkit", prefaced always with "The".  Or individually by
component name.  But "The Apache ODF Toolkit" or "Apache ODF Toolkit"
are ponderous.)

In addition to migrating the code, we would migrate the website,
tutorials, samples, Bugzilla data, and (if feasible) the mailing list
archives.  We would also seek to transfer the odftoolkit.org domain
name to Apache.

While under incubation we will merge these projects into a single SDK
with three layers:

 *Package layer, representing the ZIP + Manifest container file of an
ODF document.  This structure is shared by other document formats,
such as EPUB
 *DOM Layer, a schema-generated layer that maps 1:1 with the ODF
schema.  This uses Apache Velocity as the templating engine.
 *Convenience layer: an intuitive, high level API for use by app
developers who are not familiar with ODF XML, but who have basic
knowledge at the level of a word processor user.

== Background ==
The ODF Toolkit Union was jointly announced by Sun and IBM at the
OpenOffice.org Conference in Beijing, November 2008. The idea was to
create a portfolio of tools aimed at accelerating the growth of
document-centric solutions. The Open Document Format specification is
large and complex. Most developers simply do not have the time and
energy to master the 1,000-page specification  By providing
programming libraries, with high level APIs, the ODF Toolkit offers an
means to reduce the difficulty level, and encourage development of
innovative document solutions.

== Rationale ==

During the recent OpenOffice incubation proposal discussions, the
mention of possible moving the ODF Toolkit to Apache was met with
enthusiasm.

Apache is emerging as the leading open source community for document
related projects.  The ODF Toolkit would have a good deal of synergy
with other Apache projects, including the ODF Toolkit's dependency on
Apache XML tools like Xerces, to possible multi-format applications
with POI libraries to pipelining ODF with SVG and PDF rendering with
Batik, FOP or  PDFBox.  Getting these various document processing
libraries in one place, under a compatible permissive license would be
of great value and service to users-developers interested in combining
these tools for their specific project requirements.

Last, but not least,  there is obvious synergy with Apache OpenOffice,
as a prominent office suite supporting the ODF format.

The ODF Toolkit is already licensed under Apache License, Version 2.0,
enabling a smooth transition.

= Current Status =
== Meritocracy ==
We understand the intention and value of meritocracy at Apache.  The
initial committers are familiar with open source development.  A
diverse developer community is regarded as necessary for a healthy,
stable, long term ODF Toolkit project.

== Community ==

The ODF Toolkit is developed by a small set of core developers, though
the community extends to include a broad set of application developers
who use the code and contribute bug reports, patches and feature
requests.

Although there are some open source projects that use these components
directly, such Apache Directory Studio and GNU Octave,  to support ODF
import/export, it is more typical for these kinds of libraries to be
used by application developers in small, ad-hoc document automation
and data wrangling applications.

== Core Developers ==
The coders on the existing ODF Toolkit will comprise the initial
committers on the Apache project.  These committers have varying
degrees of experience with Apache-style open source development,
ranging from none to being committers on other Apache projects..

== Alignment ==
Along with the technical synergies described earlier, Apache aligns
well due to its license and emphasis on meritocracy.

= Known Risks =
== Orphaned products ==

The risk, as in most projects, is to grow the project and maintain
diversity.  This is a priority that is keenly desired by the
community.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==
The initial developers include experienced open source developers,
including committers from other Apache projects. Although the majority
of proposed committers do not have Apache experience, they do have
open source experience.

== Homogeneous Developers ==
The ODF Toolkit Union was created by IBM and Sun (later Oracle) who
provided the majority of its engineering resources as well as its
direction. Moving this project to Apache enables a new start.  We
intend to engage in strong recruitment efforts in order to further
strengthen and diversify the community.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
When we look at sponsored developers, with the ability to work on this
project full time, IBM currently has more committers.  We believe that
this situation will change, as the project grows in incubation.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
Several potential areas for collaboration with other Apache projects
have been suggested, including:

[[http://poi.apache.org|Apache POI]] which is similar library, focused
on Microsoft Office format documents

[[http://tika.apache.org/|Apache Tika]] is a generic toolkit for
extracting text and metadata from various file formats.

[[http://pdfbox.apache.org/|Apache PDFBox]] is a Java library for
working with PDF documents. If not direct code sharing over the Java /
C++ divide, then at least sharing of PDF know-how and perhaps things
like test cases between these projects would be great.

We are interested in further exploring these options.

== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==

Our primary interest is in the processes, systems, and framework
Apache has put in place around open source software development more
than any fascination with the brand.

== Documentation ==

There is documentation for the Simple Java API for ODF project,
including a Cookbook, and JavaDoc:

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/cookbook/

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/javadoc/index.html

For the ODFDOM, there is a good overview documenting the project here:
http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odfdom/pages/ProjectOverview

A 3rd party introductory tutorial here:
http://www.langintro.com/odfdom_tutorials/

== Initial Source ==

Will come from the ODF Toolkit Union, the latest stable source, plus
any work in-progress

== External Dependencies ==

We do not believe that we have any external dependencies other than
Apache Xerces, Xalan, Velocity (a build-time dependency), Java 6 and
the ODF schemas (also a build-time dependency)

== Cryptography ==

We are currently working on adding support for digital signatures and
encryption of documents. The project will complete any needed export
control paperwork related to these features.

== Required Resources ==

The following mailing lists:

 * `odf-dev@incubator.apache.org` - for developer discussions

 * `odf-users@incubator.apache.org` - for users discussions

 * `odf-commits@incubator.apache.org` - for Subversion commit messages

 * `odf-private@incubator.apache.org` - for PPMC issues, but only
where privacy is required

=== Other resources ===

A source code repository, preferable git

An issue tracker

A wiki

A website

== Initial Committers ==

||'''Name''' ||'''Email''' ||'''Affiliation''' ||'''iCLA''' ||
||Rob Weir||robweir at apache dot org ||IBM || yes ||
||Biao Han (Devin) || hanbiao at cn dot ibm dot com || IBM || ||
||Svante Schubert ||svante dot schubert at gmail dot com ||Individual ||  ||
||Ying Chun Guo (Daisy) || guoyingc at cn dot ibm dot com || IBM || ||
||Don Harbison ||dpharbison at apache dot org || IBM ||yes ||
||Andy Brown || andy at the-martin-byrd.net || Individual || yes ||
||Dave Fisher || wave at apache dot org || Individual || yes ||
||Juergen Schmidt || jsc at apache dot org || Individual || yes ||

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===
Sam Ruby

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Nick Burch
 * Yegor Kozlov

=== Sponsoring Entity ===

The Apache Incubator

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Jomar Silva <ho...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> *** Please change your Subject: line for any [DISCUSSION] of this [VOTE]
>

> [  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

+1

Best,

Jomar

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Sam,

not that it is very important and would change anything but i have voted as
well ;-)

Juergen

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Nick Burch wrote:
> we're now waiting on infra[1] to have the cycles to create the lists.

The lists have now been created for the ODF Toolkit podling

Anyone who's interested in the project should sign up to the user and dev
lists. These are odf-users@incubator.apache.org and
odf-dev@incubator.apache.org

If you'd like to subscribe, sent two emails, one to each of:
   odf-users-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
   odf-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

More details on the lists, and their archives will be available (shortly)
at:
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-odf-users/
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-odf-dev/

For those listed on the initial committers list at
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/odftoolkit.html (and no-one else,
sorry), you should also subscribe to the private list. You may wish to
subscribe from your @apache.org email address, so it's easier for the
moderators to check you should be on there. The subscription address fro
that is odf-private-subscribe@incubator.apache.org, but again that's for
the initial committers and mentors only

I'd suggest we give it a day or two for everyone to subscribe, then we can
kick off a discussion on the dev list about migrating the code, website,
wiki, issues etc, as well as the process of advising existing mailing list
subscribers on the move to Apache lists.

Nick

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, Dave Fisher wrote:
> If you have been waiting for three volunteers before moving forward then
> I'll raise my hand as well.

Thanks for the offer. We did hit the required number of moderators last
week, we're now waiting on infra[1] to have the cycles to create the
lists. Once that's done we can get the ball rolling on code, website, wiki
etc imports. In the mean time, we're working on getting accounts for
everyone on the proposal who didn't already have them (2 down, 1 to go!)

Cheers
Nick

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Ying Chun Guo <gu...@cn.ibm.com>.
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> 写于 08/10/2011 08:58:23 PM:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor

> -Rob

I made a mistake. I thought it was moderator that we need.

Posted by Biao Han <ha...@cn.ibm.com>.
Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote on 2011-08-11 01:18:30:

> From: Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>
> To: "general@incubator.apache.org" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
> Date: 2011-08-11 01:19
> Subject: Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation
>
> I am a historical contributor to the toolkit: if you need something,
> feel free to tag me.

Thanks! Welcome to join us. More work will start after mail list is ready.
Our website: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/odftoolkit.html

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ying Chun Guo <gu...@cn.ibm.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick...

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> HI Nick,
>
> If you have been waiting for three volunteers before moving forward then I'll raise my hand as well.
>
> I'm looking forward to working with Yegor and you as mentors. I hope you won't be waiting for me to walk my bike up the headlands while you look at the Golden Gate!
>
> :-D
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 5:50 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Great. I've gone ahead and added the podling status page:
>>>    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/odftoolkit.html
>>> (may take an hour or two for the site publish to go live though)
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>>> Next step is probably to get the lists setup, so we can use them to discuss
>>> importing the code, website etc.
>>>
>>> Can I have a couple of volunteers to be moderators for the lists? (List
>>> moderators review emails from non members, and approve if appropriate or
>>> discard if spam). Once we've a few volunteers, I can ask infra to create the
>>> lists
>>>

>> I can moderate as well.
>>

>>> I'll contact people needing iCLAs shortly
>>>
>>> Nick

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
HI Nick,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 12:05 +0100, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Sam Ruby wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> >> As the discussions on the ODF Toolkit threads seem to be winding down,
> >> I would like to initiate the vote to accept the ODF Toolkit as an
> >> Apache Incubator project.
> >>
> >> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
> >
> > Voting is now closed.  Quorum was achieved, and the vote passes.
>
> Great. I've gone ahead and added the podling status page:
>      http://incubator.apache.org/projects/odftoolkit.html
> (may take an hour or two for the site publish to go live though)

Hi Nick,

> Next step is probably to get the lists setup, so we can use them to
> discuss importing the code, website etc.
>
> Can I have a couple of volunteers to be moderators for the lists?

Raising hand.

I'd be happy to help on that.

Best wishes,

//drew

<snip>

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 28, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

+1.

Dave

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@openoffice.org>.
On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 15:53 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> *** Please change your Subject: line for any [DISCUSSION] of this [VOTE]
>
> As the discussions on the ODF Toolkit threads seem to be winding down,
> I would like to initiate the vote to accept the ODF Toolkit as an
> Apache Incubator project.
>
> At the end of this mail, I've put a copy of the current proposal.
> Here is a link to the document in the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal?action=recall&rev=7
>
> I encourage everybody to read the proposal thread before voting:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/-PROPOSAL--ODF-Toolkit-for-Incubation-td32102643.html
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

+1 ( non-binding)

Graham
--
Graham Lauder,

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (Binding)

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Arthur Buijs <ar...@artietee.nl>.
+1

--
Regards/groeten,
Arthur Buijs

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

+1

Regards,
Yegor

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Oliver Rau <op...@neomm.net>.
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [x] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [ ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [ ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com>.
Am 28.07.2011 21:53, schrieb Sam Ruby:
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [x] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [ ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [ ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation
- Svante

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Please cast your votes:
>>
>> [X] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
>> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
>> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

(binding)

Robert

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

+1

Andy

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> *** Please change your Subject: line for any [DISCUSSION] of this [VOTE]
>
> As the discussions on the ODF Toolkit threads seem to be winding down,
> I would like to initiate the vote to accept the ODF Toolkit as an
> Apache Incubator project.
>
> At the end of this mail, I've put a copy of the current proposal.
> Here is a link to the document in the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal?action=recall&rev=7
>
> I encourage everybody to read the proposal thread before voting:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/-PROPOSAL--ODF-Toolkit-for-Incubation-td32102643.html
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation
>
> +1

Juergen

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi,

[ x ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation

  Eike

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 (binding).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Chris

> [...]

> where privacy is required
>
> === Other resources ===
>
> A source code repository, preferable git
>
> An issue tracker
>
> A wiki
>
> A website
>
> == Initial Committers ==
>

> ||'''Name''' ||'''Email''' ||'''Affiliation''' ||'''iCLA''' ||
> ||Rob Weir||robweir at apache dot org ||IBM || yes ||
> ||Biao Han (Devin) || hanbiao at cn dot ibm dot com || IBM || ||
> ||Svante Schubert ||svante dot schubert at gmail dot com ||Individual ||  ||
> ||Ying Chun Guo (Daisy) || guoyingc at cn dot ibm dot com || IBM || ||
> ||Don Harbison ||dpharbison at apache dot org || IBM ||yes ||
> ||Andy Brown || andy at the-martin-byrd.net || Individual || yes ||
> ||Dave Fisher || wave at apache dot org || Individual || yes ||
> ||Juergen Schmidt || jsc at apache dot org || Individual || yes ||

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

[VOTE][RESULT] Accept Giraph for Incubation

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
> [  ] +1 Accept Giraph for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Giraph incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject Giraph for incubation
>
> This vote will close 72 hours from now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Avery

Voting is now closed.  The vote passes with the following details:

+1 binding votes (4)
+1 non-binding votes (3)
+0 votes (0)
-1 votes (0)

--- Details ---

Binding:
+1 Alan Cabrera
+1 Mohammad Nour El-Din
+1 Alex Karasulu
+1 Owen O'Malley

Non-binding:

+1 Ashish Paliwal
+1 Phillip Rhodes
+1 Bill Graham

The binding votes were counted based on the Incubator PMC membership list located at:
http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#incubator-pmc

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
Please cast your votes:

[x ] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation
[  ] +0 Indifferent to ODF Toolkit incubation
[  ] -1 Reject ODF Toolkit for incubation

(binding)

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by do...@us.ibm.com.
+1

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Please cast your votes:

+1

Nick

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Accept ODF Toolkit for incubation [ ]

(binding)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by IngridvdM <In...@gmx-topmail.de>.
+1 (non binding)

Ingrid von der Mehden

Re: [VOTE] Accept ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

http://www.grobmeier.de