Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2006/07/06 11:20:02 UTC

maven2, multiple modules, "mvn install" produces no pom file

Hi all,

I have an existing ant project that builds an EJB (in a jar), and then
creates an ear from it.

To recreate the same bahaviour in maven2, I tried to create a root pom
with two modules, like so:

pom.xml
ejb/pom.xml
ear/pom.xml

I added a dependancy inside ear/pom.xml pointing at the output of
ejb/pom.xml, and told it to run "mvn package". This bombed out because
ear/pom.xml couldn't find the ejb aritfact in the local repository.

No worries, let me try "mvn install" following the behaviour from maven 1.

This also broke, for the same reason - the ear pom could not find the pom
file from the ejb install.

Why does maven2 look for a pom file only, when "mvn install" doesn't
install a pom file with the jar file into the repository?

The output from the build is below:

[INFO] Building ejb alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] Building jar:
/Users/minfrin/src/standard/alchemy/maven/alchemy-trader/ejb/target/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [install:install]
[INFO] Installing
/Users/minfrin/src/standard/alchemy/maven/alchemy-trader/ejb/target/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
/Users/minfrin/.m2/repository/za/co/standardbank/alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Alchemy Trader EAR
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
Downloading:
http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus
(http://dist.codehaus.org/)
Downloading:
http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/poms/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus-legacy
(http://dist.codehaus.org/)
Downloading:
http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/jars/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus-legacy
(http://dist.codehaus.org/)
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Regards,
Graham

Re: maven2, multiple modules, "mvn install" produces no pom file

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Thu, July 6, 2006 12:34 pm, Arnaud Bailly wrote:

> The references to your ejbs don't look correct
> install:
> za/co/standardbank/alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ja
>   =>
>   groupID=za.co.standardbank.alchemy
>   artifactID=alchemy-trader-ejb
>   version=1.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> You seem to reference in the ear's pom
>   groupID=alchemy
>   artifactID=alchemy-trader-ejb
>   version=1.0-SNAPSHOT

This was exactly it - thank you for getting back to me. /me berates self
for not being consistent.

Posted by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com>.
"Graham Leggett" <mi...@sharp.fm> writes:

> [INFO] Installing
> /Users/minfrin/src/standard/alchemy/maven/alchemy-trader/ejb/target/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> /Users/minfrin/.m2/repository/za/co/standardbank/alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Building Alchemy Trader EAR
> [INFO]    task-segment: [install]
> [INFO]
> Downloading:
> http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
> [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus
> (http://dist.codehaus.org/)
> Downloading:
> http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/poms/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
> [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus-legacy
> (http://dist.codehaus.org/)
> Downloading:
> http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus
> (http://dist.codehaus.org/)
> Downloading:
> http://dist.codehaus.org//alchemy/jars/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> [WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository codehaus-legacy
> (http://dist.codehaus.org/)
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

Hello,
The references to your ejbs don't look correct
install: za/co/standardbank/alchemy/alchemy-trader-ejb/1.0-SNAPSHOT/alchemy-trader-ejb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ja
  =>
  groupID=za.co.standardbank.alchemy
  artifactID=alchemy-trader-ejb
  version=1.0-SNAPSHOT

You seem to reference in the ear's pom
  groupID=alchemy
  artifactID=alchemy-trader-ejb
  version=1.0-SNAPSHOT

regards,

--
OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, Dr.