Posted to dev@buildstream.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2020/07/16 22:36:47 UTC

[SUMMARY] Migrating communication channels

Hi,

It's been more than a week since I started this thread, so allow me to
summarize.

From the thread it seems a number of people weren't clear that I wasn't
looking for write-in options, but for a choice between the two stated

When it comes to discoverability, I think this can be as simple as stating
on our website what the channels are, including direct links.

Now for the end result: it's clear we have a split.  Roughly down the
middle when it comes to preferences of the people that spoke up, some with
passion.  What this means is that we'll likely just end up with a few
people on IRC and a few people on Slack.  Which emphasizes the point that
everything should be brought back to this mailing list when it pertains to
the project.

I propose we move the #buildstream IRC channel to FreeNode next week.  We
currently have a BuildStream channel on the BuildTeam workspace, I propose
we'll keep that for now and potentially migrate that to the ASF workspace
at a later date.

Cheers,

Sander

Re: [SUMMARY] Migrating communication channels

Posted by Tristan Van Berkom <tr...@codethink.co.uk>.
Hi,

On Fri, 2020-07-17 at 00:36 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
[...]
> Now for the end result: it's clear we have a split.  Roughly down the
> middle when it comes to preferences of the people that spoke up, some with
> passion.  What this means is that we'll likely just end up with a few
> people on IRC and a few people on Slack.  Which emphasizes the point that
> everything should be brought back to this mailing list when it pertains to
> the project.
>
> I propose we move the #buildstream IRC channel to FreeNode next week.  We
> currently have a BuildStream channel on the BuildTeam workspace, I propose
> we'll keep that for now and potentially migrate that to the ASF workspace
> at a later date.

+1

I will be much more happy to make the extra effort to try to be present
on Slack in the knowledge that we still have a presence on IRC.

Cheers,
    -Tristan