Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com> on 2003/09/17 21:35:35 UTC

[OT] -- Editing XML

Hi All,

I have been assigned to add functionality to my STRUTS app that provides
the ability to alter many 3rd party defined XML data structures. It
would like to take a 3rd party XML data structure and defined XSLT to
create a HTML form for editing the underling XML data structure. Only
requiring basic input validation maybe from a schema. When the form has
been completed and submitted the XML data structure would be recreated
with the new input values. I need to do this in a generic way so that
the same application can process and edit any defined XML data
structure.

                                    XML/XSLT --> HTML FORM --> XML

Can I do this?

Are there any tools out there that enable this?

Could a 3rd party define a XML data structure and XSLT that would create
a HTML form for editing the data structure?

Any comments/input is greatly appreciated, I have been assigned this
task and have no idea if it is possible or where to start.

Many Thanks,

Greg Hess

Software Engineer

Wrapped Apps Corporation

275 Michael Cowpland Dr.

Suite 201

Ottawa, Ontario

K2M 2G2

Tel: (613) 591 -7552

Fax: (613) 591-0523

1 (877) 388-6742

 <http://www.wrappedapps.com/>

RE: [OT] -- Editing XML

Posted by Greg Hess <gh...@wrappedapps.com>.
Many thanks,

I have been looking a lot a XForms and have come to the understanding
and might be wrong that the XForms provides the ability to create forms
that are not coupled with a particular view technology like HTML, the
forms are build using XML and rendered appropriately for the requesting
device. I decided to move my exploration away from XForms because this
type of functionality is great but not my key objective.

I don't mind if my forms are in HTML but my form must be generated
dynamically from an XML data structure defining an applications
configuration and I am thinking a XSLT could define the form to
represent that data and alter the data structure. As I can see an XForms
XML doc could define the form as I think the XSLT could and provide the
transformation with a browser plugin. Unfortunately as I have found the
plugins only support MS IE6 and would be a big limitation on the
application.

Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something.

I am going to read up on JAXB, XMLBeans, XUpdate.

Many Thanks,

Greg

RE: [OT] -- Editing XML