Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com.INVALID> on 2019/08/16 21:49:37 UTC

Gandiva Java benchmarks

Hello Arrow community,

I am studying Gandiva and especially interested in its performance.

I am wondering if there is prior benchmarking work happened somewhere on
Gandiva Java? Also, is it worth building some benchmarking code for Gandiva
Java (something like SparkSQL's benchmarks
<https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/sql/core/src/test/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/execution/benchmark>
)?

-Rui

Re: Gandiva Java benchmarks

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rui,
In addition to this Dremio provided some benchmarks in their initial
announcement of Gandiva [1].

In general, I think we'd like to add more benchmarks to the Java
implementation.  For now, we have been building mostly very targeted
microbenchmarks, as there has been some disagreement on what larger
benchmarks might look like.  Additionally, I'd like to see our Java JMH
benchmarks integrated with Archery (Arrow's benchmarking system).

Thanks,
-Micah

[1]
https://www.dremio.com/gandiva-performance-improvements-production-query/

Re: Gandiva Java benchmarks

Posted by Ravindra Pindikura <ra...@dremio.com>.
On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 5:09 AM Rui Wang <ru...@google.com.invalid> wrote:

> I got help for a pointer to Gandiva cpp's micro benchmark
> <
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/cpp/src/gandiva/tests/micro_benchmarks.cc
> >.
> I will start from there.

There is also a primitive java variant here :

https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/java/gandiva/src/test/java/org/apache/arrow/gandiva/evaluator/MicroBenchmarkTest.java

--
Thanks and regards,
Ravindra.