Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2022/02/03 12:02:38 UTC

Dependabot alerts

Hi,

I've worked with INFRA to enable GitHub dependabot alerts for various
Apache projects. The idea is that the GitHub committers for a given
project can have access to the page on GitHub (for example for CXF:
https://github.com/apache/cxf/security/dependabot) which shows the
list of dependencies for the project with known CVEs.

I plan to do the same for Camel on these repos:

https://github.com/apache/camel
https://github.com/apache/camel-karaf
https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus
https://github.com/apache/camel-spring-boot

Any objections or anything I'm missing? If not I'll proceed with enabling it.

Colm.

Re: Dependabot alerts

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
 I don’t see an obvious upgrade path to ameliorate these docs/* “security” problems (I upped all the versions I could in package.json with no useful effect), but:

- I’ve been planning on completely eliminating all the copying with  the gulp file (where the dependencies come from) and having Antora find the originals instead.  This is going to require a camel-specific Antora extension (first one!) but should not be terribly difficult.  We then wouldn’t have a yarn.lock :-)  This may take a while.
- I don’t think there’s actually any security risk to running a script to symlink some files in the git repo, and committing the result.

I’d appreciate Zoran’s perspective, I am by no means a security expert.

David Jencks

Re: Dependabot alerts

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Dependabot alerts

Posted by Otavio Rodolfo Piske <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Nice one, Colm! Thanks!

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 6:26 PM Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is good to see, you also get a "found X vulnerabilities" when you
> push commits to branches.

Oh, this is really cool

> And btw. there is also the sonarcloud reports or what the name was
> that Otavio help enable.
>
> I assume we have a page in the docs where we can have links to those
> various online reporting tools.

Yes. I added a section about automated code analysis on the contribution
guide [1] which has a link to our SonarCloud instance [2] (it's a pity we
cannot have - yet - automated code analysis on the PRs ... but I don't want
to go off-topic here).

I think we could add a note about the automated analysis of security
vulnerabilities there too.

1. https://camel.apache.org/community/contributing/#automated-code-analysis
2. https://sonarcloud.io/project/overview?id=apache_camel

Kind regards

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:02 PM Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've worked with INFRA to enable GitHub dependabot alerts for various
> > Apache projects. The idea is that the GitHub committers for a given
> > project can have access to the page on GitHub (for example for CXF:
> > https://github.com/apache/cxf/security/dependabot) which shows the
> > list of dependencies for the project with known CVEs.
> >
> > I plan to do the same for Camel on these repos:
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/camel
> > https://github.com/apache/camel-karaf
> > https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus
> > https://github.com/apache/camel-spring-boot
> >
> > Any objections or anything I'm missing? If not I'll proceed with
> enabling it.
> >
> > Colm.
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Otavio R. Piske
http://orpiske.net

Re: Dependabot alerts

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Dependabot alerts

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Yes, thanks to INFRA for the fast fix. There are a couple of issues
reported at https://github.com/apache/camel-spring-boot/security/dependabot
as well.

Colm.

Re: Dependabot alerts