Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Santiago Crespo Calvo <sc...@fullsix-spain.com> on 2004/11/21 14:15:34 UTC

Generate czech characters with PDF

Hello

I’m trying to generate a pdf with czech characters: &#269;  but it does not
work.How can I embed this chars?.

I’ve tried with hyphenation settings and configuring fonts (Arial o
Helvetica) but it doesn’t works

Any idea or sample?.

Thanks

---

RE: Generate czech characters with PDF

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

See:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#xml-special-chars

> Ii don’t know the term "glyph". Who's that?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=glyph

Used for example in the term "hiero-glyph", which may ring a bell (?).

In short:
All fonts have a set of these "glyphs" for a number of characters. The fonts
you use most likely are meant for Western languages, meaning they have no
glyph for Cyrillic / Chinese / Japanese ... characters.
So you need to find a font which *does* have a glyph for the character(s)
you want to have in your output.

Hope this helps!

Greetz,

Andreas

RE: Generate czech characters with PDF

Posted by Santiago Crespo Calvo <sc...@fullsix-spain.com>.
Yes, I see the # character and the ? character.

Ii don’t know the term "glyph". Who's that?

> I’m trying to generate a pdf with czech characters: &#269;
> but it does not work.How can I embed this chars?.
> I’ve tried with hyphenation settings and configuring fonts
> (Arial o Helvetica) but it doesn’t works

Should normally be no problem if the used font contains a glyph for the
desired character...
(I'm guessing it doesn't, and only a '#' character appears in your output?)

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas

---