Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/28 12:36:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] DataServer with ConfigDrive in cloudbase-init

Hi,

I'm developing cloudbase-init to support password management in Windows
with ConfigDrive for CloudStack.
The logic behind the user-data service in CloudStack causes some problems
that I need to change the logic of cloudbase-init to make it compliant with
CloudStack!
To use both ConfigDrive and DataServer user-data providers, it is
recommended to enable both metadata service providers in cloudbase-init
config respectively. So first ConfigDrive will be checked and if no
ConfigDrive was found, DataServer will be checked.
For example, I create a VM with 2 networks. The primary network is an
isolated network that provides user-data with DataServer of VR and the
secondary network is an L2 network that provides user-data with ConfigDrive.
When the user tries to reset the VMs password, the VR will provide the
password so no vm_password.txt file will be created in ConfigDrive.
Cloudbase-init will search for ConfigDrive and will find it. But because of
the non-existing vm_password.txt file, it will skip the
SetUserPasswordPlugin plugin and never checks DataServer to get the
password because it already has found a valid disk as ConfigDrive. I think
ConfigDrive is network-independent, so we should always provide the
vm_password.txt file in it.

Regards,
Alireza