Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Tommy Pham <to...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/22 05:53:48 UTC

Licensing and commercial use

Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding licensing.  I noticed that Roller 5.1.2 is
"Licensed under Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/>".  Following the
provided link to understand further about commercial purposes didn't help.
I then followed "More info" which:

"CC's NonCommercial (NC) licenses prohibit uses that are "primarily
intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary
compensation." ....   If you are unsure, you should either contact the
rights holder for clarification, or search for works that permit commercial
uses." [1]

So here are my questions:

*)  If I use the software for my company for blogs created by any employee
of the company available freely for anyone to read but only certain
registered users are permitted to comment, am I permitted to use it under
the CC NC license?
*)  If my company is hosting company, can I charge my customers to setup
this software and for all its maintenance (patches, upgrades, database
backup)?

Thanks,
Tommy

[1]
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Does_my_use_violate_the_NonCommercial_clause_of_the_licenses.3F

Re: Licensing and commercial use

Posted by Gaurav Saini <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Team,

Actually, I am not that known to types of licencing. Gaurav theme which
was developed by me, so whatever licence team feels we can give to it
for be part of the source code.
Not, sure what it was before or now.

Thanks
Gaurav

On Friday 22 May 2015 09:47 AM, Dave wrote:
> Everything that is included in the Roller source distribution must be
> licensed under the ASL or an equally or more permissive license. If not,
> then we need to remove it from the Roller distro. I think those themes
> mention the the CC license because that is what the theme author wanted for
> his actual blog content (blog entries). That is definitely the case for
> Faucoly, which I developed.
>
> - Dave
>

> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:06 AM Tommy Pham <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Tommy Pham <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have some questions regarding licensing.  I noticed that Roller 5.1.2
>> is
>>> "Licensed under Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic
>>> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/>".  Following the
>>> provided link to understand further about commercial purposes didn't
>> help.
>>> I then followed "More info" which:
>>>
>>> "CC's NonCommercial (NC) licenses prohibit uses that are "primarily
>>> intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary
>>> compensation." ....   If you are unsure, you should either contact the
>>> rights holder for clarification, or search for works that permit
>> commercial
>>> uses." [1]
>>>
>>> So here are my questions:
>>>
>>> *)  If I use the software for my company for blogs created by any
>> employee
>>> of the company available freely for anyone to read but only certain
>>> registered users are permitted to comment, am I permitted to use it under
>>> the CC NC license?
>>> *)  If my company is hosting company, can I charge my customers to setup
>>> this software and for all its maintenance (patches, upgrades, database
>>> backup)?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tommy
>>>

>>> [1]
>>>
>> https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Does_my_use_violate_the_NonCommercial_clause_of_the_licenses.3F
>> After playing around with the themes, I think the above license is only for
>> themes Fauxcoly and Gaurav.  Am I correct to assume that roller is licensed
>> under Apache Software License 2.0?
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Gaurav Saini

Re: Licensing and commercial use

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
We may want to clarify any such things in template comments,
distinguishing the license expressed by the template for blog content
from the license on the template source itself.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommy Pham <to...@gmail.com>.