Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2010/03/31 07:11:21 UTC

[VOTE] log4j 1.2.16 release

I have posted a third release candidate for log4j 1.2.16.  RC1 was scuttled in February since I was not aware of the new signing key policy until I was ready to sign the release.  RC2 was scuttled on Sunday since I put the wrong prospective release date.

The vote is on the following artifacts:

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo/log4j/log4j/log4j-1.2.16-javadoc.jar (md5: ee87b0f7de80d2c3ac4da5e59a6dd05f)
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo/log4j/log4j/log4j-1.2.16-sources.jar (md5: bb0455e7bb9de23b30d4887ba7ee7ed3)
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo/log4j/log4j/log4j-1.2.16.jar (md5: 363678f015902bcc040308136f845a3f)
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo/log4j/log4j/log4j-1.2.16.pom (md5: e15d65d6c97d87704176c1e9338a2adb)
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo/log4j/log4j/log4j-1.2.16.tar.gz (md5: 8e331a930d0b56280a1c66a00621b3a3)
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo/log4j/log4j/log4j-1.2.16.zip (md5: 6c55fbdfa752c635159e219e02639056)

Detached signatures, md5 and sha1 digests are in the same directory with the usual extensions (.asc, ,md5, .sha1).

The corresponding source code is http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/tags/v1_2_16.

The corresponding website content is staged at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4j/1.2/index.html.  Some links (particularly download links) are broken while staged.

The vote will be open at least 72 hours.  If the necessary votes are not received by April 6th (the prospective release date in the RC), the release candidate will be recalled.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.16 release

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Mar 31, 2010, at 3:43 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> checked sigs and looked into the jar, where everything looks fine.
> Staged site - only special character problems:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4j/1.2/manual.html
>
> I don't see this as a blocker at the moment. Site can be recreated
> afterwards, if necessary.
>
> And yes, here is my +1
> Thanks for the work!

The special character issue is due to the SVN repo sending a misleading encoding.  Things are fine when viewed locally and should not be an issue when the logging.apache.org is updated.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.16 release

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.16 release

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.16 release

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Syncing log4j 1.2.16 to Maven repo

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@sonatype.com>.
We should definitely move to org.apache.log4j in a future release,
likely a 1.3.x. I'll look at how the current log4j is synced, I'm not
sure how it's managed but we should look to move that over to
repository.apache.org as well.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

I found http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-232 and http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-173. I'm not sure what version of the plugin you are using - but does one of them cover it?

>>> I've asked for sync'ing instructions on repository@apache since the process has apparently changed.  I haven't had a response yet and have not taken any actions, so 1.2.16 is not yet on its way to the Maven repo and its mirrors.  Are you familiar with the current process?  Would it be better to delay pushing syncing the Maven repo until we have a replacement javadoc.jar or could we add it at a later time?
>>
>> Your question hasn't got through - not sure who is moderating it these days.
>
> Surprising since I'm subscribed to the list.

It's the gmail thing. I just manually moderated it through and added your gmail to the allow list. I think all the moderators on there are travelling at the moment.

>> There is an alternative process if you want to change, but the old way still works if you've used it before.
>
> Couldn't find the old way documented anymore which I think was syncing the M1 repo.  Is copying to /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository and changing the permissions the new way or does the new way involve Nexus.

Either of those work, but the m1 technique won't any more. When you said 'old' way I thought you'd meant the m2 rsync that most had been using up until recently.

>> Speaking of moderation - my first response got rejected because brett@apache.org is not a subscriber. This is quite common when using google apps mail with ezmlm. Is there a reason the log4j lists are not moderated?
>

> I believe it was that way when I inherited list management.  The log4php mailing lists were switched to moderation and I was swamped with spam moderation requests.  I'd hate to be on the receiving end of the log4j directed spam.

Moderators would probably find the volume is about the same on each list. Anyway, let infra know if that's something that someone wants to take up - I just thought I'd point out that it's an unusual configuration and can have some pitfalls with gmail.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: [VOTE RESULT] log4j 1.2.16 release

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 07/04/2010, at 11:40 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>> On 07/04/2010, at 12:41 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> I've copied the .zip and .tar.gz to the master distribution site and then out to the mirrors.
>>>
>>> While investigating the new procedure to push releases out to the Maven master repo, I saw that the -javadoc.jar was missing LICENSE and NOTICE as required by http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distribute-other-artifacts.  I have removed just those files from http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo and will proceed to sync the other artifacts.
>>
>> Will you be amending them and adding them later? It would be preferable to have them present in the repository for Maven users.
>>
>> - Brett
>>

> I could manually tweak the jar file to add the LICENSE and NOTICE and to remove .svn and .svn-base files that were also present in the javadoc.jar and then put just that artifact up for a vote.

Sounds good.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 07/04/2010, at 12:41 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>> I've copied the .zip and .tar.gz to the master distribution site and then out to the mirrors.
>>
>> While investigating the new procedure to push releases out to the Maven master repo, I saw that the -javadoc.jar was missing LICENSE and NOTICE as required by http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distribute-other-artifacts.  I have removed just those files from http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/repo and will proceed to sync the other artifacts.
>
> Will you be amending them and adding them later? It would be preferable to have them present in the repository for Maven users.
>
> - Brett

I could manually tweak the jar file to add the LICENSE and NOTICE and to remove .svn and .svn-base files that were also present in the javadoc.jar and then put just that artifact up for a vote.  Fixing it right would require either changing the Maven plugin or adding steps in our build to correct it after it is built and should be done for 1.2.17.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
A belated +1 from me.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
A belated +1 from me.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.16 release

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I haven't been able to test out 1.2.16 for myself, but if the unit tests pass, I
figure it's long past due for a release.  +1 from me.

Jake