Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org> on 1997/11/22 22:40:00 UTC

Re: protocol/1454: Apache doesn't always understand requests wit

The following reply was made to PR protocol/1454; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>
To: Anand Kumria <wi...@progsoc.uts.edu.au>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: protocol/1454: Apache doesn't always understand requests wit
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:05:04 +0100 (CET)

 According to Anand Kumria:

 [...]
 >   As I have tried to explain above the rules for processing requests don't
 >   consider the absence of the Host: header until rule 3. Apache is
 >   rejecting the document too early in its request parsing process.

 But a client sending a HTTP/1.1 fullURI request *must* send a Host:
 header. If the client doesn't send such a header it is broken and should
 be fixed.

 Apache provides some workarounds for specific versions of broken popular
 browsers (eg. Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Explorer), but providing
 a general 'workaround' for broken HTTP/1.1 clients is IMHO not useful.

 ciao...
 --
 Lars Eilebrecht           - RFC 1925: "It is more complicated than you think."
 sfx@unix-ag.org