Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Venkates .P.B." <ve...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/01 15:09:54 UTC

Few queries regarding the way data is loaded into HDFS.

-Is it a common practice to load the data into HDFS only through the master
node ? We are able to copy only around 35 logs (64K each) per minute in a 2
slave configuration.

-We are concerned about time it would take to update filenames and block
maps in the master node when data is loaded from few/all the slave nodes.
Can anyone let me know how long generally it takes for this update to
happen.

And one more question, what if the node crashes soon after the data is
copied into one it. How is data consistency maintained here ?

Thanks in advance,
Venkates P B

Re: Loading data into HDFS

Posted by Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com>.
I am not sure that you are following the right techniqs. We have the same
issue concerning loading  master/slave, still trying to find some more
details how to do it better  but could not advice you now..
keep posting probably sombody can give you the correct answer, good
questions actually

thanks,
DT
www.ejinz.com
Search News

RE: Loading data into HDFS

Posted by Runping Qi <ru...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hadoop Aggregate package (o.a.h.mapred.lib.aggregate) is a good fit for your
aggregation problem.

Runping

Re: Loading data into HDFS

Posted by Jim Kellerman <ji...@powerset.com>.
This request isn't so much about loading data into HDFS, but we really
need the ability to create a file that supports atomic appends for the
HBase redo log. Since HDFS files currently don't exist until they are
closed, the best we can do right now is close the current redo log and
open a new one fairly frequently to minimize the number of updates that
would get lost otherwise. I don't think we need the multi-appender model
that GFS supports, just a single appender.

-Jim

jim@powerset.com

Re: Loading data into HDFS

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

[...]

Systems like Pig seem to be built with the assumption that there should be a

Re: Loading data into HDFS

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Loading data into HDFS

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <je...@gmail.com>.